How do I pick a Motherboard and processor?

• ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Everyone,

I recently killed my Processor which was a Socket A. I figure that its outdated as so I was thinking of upgrading my Motherboard and Processor, so I started looking at newegg and now I don't have any idea what do.

What is there a big difference between between AM2 and 939 ?
Which one is better in your opinion?
whats the difference between Athlon XP and Sempron 64.
Also,
When choosing a processor what do you look at the model or at the operating frequency?

Also what is L1 Cache and L2 Cache ? And what are the differences between cores?

And whats the difference between theses two? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCo ... 6819103535
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The difference between the 2 processors you linked to is one is an AM2 socket and the other is a 939 socket.

AM2 is a new socket type for AMD which brings support for DDR2 RAM and is a socket 940.

939 is now the older socket type and does not support DDR2 RAM.

Semprons are the more affordable AMD processors. Typically not high end. Kind of like Intel's celeron processors.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

everything grinch said and a warning
dont try using an old 940 motherboard the extra proc pin is in a different place on the am2.

plus
l1 cache
and
l2 cache
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
What is there a big difference between between AM2 and 939 ?

As Grinch has stated AM2 is the new 940 pin AMD64 CPU which utilises DDR2 RAM [ which although has more bandwidth than DDR is currently slower than DDR ( in terms of latency timings ) ]. As has also been stated, the "missing pins" have been moved you you will need a new gen AM2 SKT board rather than grabbing an old SKT940 board.

Quote:
Which one is better in your opinion?

In my opinion from what I have read [ both articles and personal opinions ] I am going to stick with my SKT939 for the time being. One magazine I read regularly did a lab test on 939 vs AM2 and the AM2 only just beat the 939 by one test, on the others they were equal. This is because all AMD have done to the AM2 is add DDR2 functionality. This is because when they Quad core CPU's from AMD are released in 2007 [ yes, they are thinking about this already ] DDR will not have enough bandwidth to support four cores.

Quote:
whats the difference between Athlon XP and Sempron 64.

Sempron CPU's are basicaly just XP CPU's with AMD64 technology inside them, and as stated by Grinch, are the "broken" version of a fully fledged AMD64, just as Celerons are broken Pentiums [ parts disabled etc ]. Semperons are also Skt754, which is worth noting is now "older" technology and probably worth ignoring [ unless your on a budget, but then again, Skt939 stuff will be cheap soon due to AM2 release ].

Quote:
When choosing a processor what do you look at the model or at the operating frequency?

I look at a bit of both, I generaly don't buy the fastest model, but I dont buy the slowest either. Reason why I don't buy the fastest is that I sometimes overclock and theoreticaly, because a high end CPU and mid range CPU are based on the same die processes, they should both have the same overclock limit. Reason I don't buy the cheapest is also to do with overclocking, my CPU will have to work harder to get to that top limit when starting at a low clock speed and will obviously require more cooling.

Another thing I look for is the cache size, for example, the Orleans core AM2 has 512kb Cache whereas the Torlado core AM2 has 1mb Cache. The cache basicaly improves the rate at which repetative CPU tasks can be processes, so the more avaliable to the CPU, the better. Cache works in a similar way to RAM.

Cache works in levels:

1. Level 1
  2. Level 2
  3. Level 3
  4. etc

Cache doesnt utilise normal DDR RAM, it uses a faster more efficiant type of RAM [ the name of which I forget ] but this RAM is fast efficient and expensive [ hence why there is so little ]. Information that your CPU repeatedly processes is moved from RAM and stored in the Level 1 Cache so that the CPU can access it quicker than going across the mobo to RAM. Anything repeatedly being processed in Level 1 Cache is moved to Level 2 which is made up of faster still RAM but a smaller ammount. This carrys on in a similar pattern up the differenct levels of Cache.

Quote:
Also what is L1 Cache and L2 Cache ? And what are the differences between cores?

Explained Cache in paragraph above. The differences between the different cores varies. Sometimes it is the clock speed, but most commonly it is the amount of Cache avaliable to the CPU.

Quote:
And whats the difference between theses two? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductCo ... 6819103535

I am sure you can work out what the main differences are between the two CPU's from what I and the others have told you.

Good luck with your hunt and hope what I have typed is of some use to you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts