How to remove CMOS battery in old Gateway P3C Laptop?

• DartHead
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: NYC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just got a Gateway P3C that has been password protected and won't boot. I've taken it apart to see if I can find the CMOS battery or a jumper on the board, but with no luck.

Anybody familiar with this machine who can help me out?

Thanks,
Lance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps it looks like this:
http://www.dsmiller.com/html/Laptop-Not ... -B-446.htm

Thats pretty much all the information I could find. Can't even find the manual on Gateway's website. Is this a boot password or just a setup password?
  • DartHead
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: NYC

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a boot password.

Yeah, I looked all over Gateway and the web and talked to their techies/robots in Customer Service (very weird experience) but they want me to pay $200 to send in my free laptop for service. Uh-huh.

That's the battery in your link, but I don't know where it is in my machine. I've taken the keyboard out to poke around but I'm not to the point yet of ripping into it further without some idea of where to go.

I found a connecting cable that resembles the battery cable and I disconnected it for a night, but the password was still there when I booted.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know on my laptop, it is on the underside of the motherboard. Looks like you are going to have to keep digging!
  • mounddog
  • Born
  • Born
  • mounddog

Post 3+ Months Ago

Howdy - since i just spent an hour looking for information on this - and that most of the google searches kept ending on this forum discussion - thought i would post what i found as a solution. I was trying to replace the cmos battery on my older Gateway laptop (PII) - may be the same for all/most laptops - but here is a great website that shows a schematic of a traditional laptop and all its components - with this diagram i was able to figure out that hte CMOS battery is right underneath the area below the keyboard (like near the touchpad) - its not obvious - its kind of hidden in there - i had to take off some of hte screws to loosen the laptop case, so i could pry it up alittle and then was able to remove the CMOS battery. Easy after that. I started looking on the internet for a solution to locating the cmos after i had already removed almost all the innerds of hte laptop and was getting more and more frustrated - just found out its pretty much just removing the keyboard( which is easy) and loosening the case to get to the cmos. Heres website with diagram etc:
http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/a ... Num=3&rl=1
[/url]
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Welcome to the forums mounddog :)
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

dont mean to bud-in but...

the CMOS batt. i dont understand. how does it use iT? and is it rechargeable? or when it dies do you have to buy a new one?
  • lhuser
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

CMOs batteries keeps your BIOS settings. Once removed, it loses all data. And yes, when it can't be recharged, it's time for a new one
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol hello lhuser.

how long do they last?
  • Shadow Knight
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Soy Cubano, no puedo ser diferent!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
how long do they last?

This battery generally last from two to three years, but they can last longer than that. It all depends on how you use your computer, also the more you use your computer the longer the battery will live, becuase the battery begins to funtion whenever the computer is off

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts