How to select an uninterruptible power supply ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

How do I determine what sort of uninterruptible power supply I need to get ?
My only requirement is that it will keep everything I have plugged in here at my desk powered on in the event of a power flicker.

Flickers almost never last for more than a second or two, but when it happens it knocks out my entire network 99% of the time. If I could find something that will keep everything I have here powered on for 5 minutes I would be happy with that, if power stays out for more than a minute I know it's not coming on any time soon and can shutdown everything I have in less than 4 minutes.

What I have here is,

3 PCs, 2 of which do not have monitors attached
    An LCD monitor
    A cable modem
    A router
    Powered PC speakers

A quick look around and I see things with specs listed such as "watts" and "VA". Do I need to find out how many watts each of my PC power supplies are, add those numbers together, and go from there for what I need ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I prefer APC brand http://www.apc.com . That's all I use. They've been highly reliable and all have taken several years before the battery needed replaced. I had two Belkins I bought when the APC's I wanted weren't available, and both were DOA.

Here's a pretty handy guide with some good links.
http://www.smps.us/uninterruptible-power-supply.html

For what you have you don't need anything elaborate. Most people forget the entire purpose of an APC isn't to keep you up and running, but to save you through the surges and brown outs, and give you sufficient time to safely shut down your equipment in the event of a total loss of power.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've narrowed down the things I need to keep from being affected by flickers to the 3 PCs, the cable modem, and the router. Realistically I could deal with the modem flickering. I could get by with just my main PC and the router, but rebooting those servers is no fun.

I've collected the numbers I could find on their labels.
Each of the PCs have input numbers at 100-120V and 5-9A.
There are 200, 250, and 430 Watt power supplies.

The router and modem are 120V, one has a 25VA and the other says 18.6W which I'm guessing is watts.

I'm confused about which numbers I need to pay attention to.

Do I add up all of the VA numbers (120*5) and divide that by 0.6 to get a need of a 1000 VA UPS ?

Do I add the wattages that seem to be for the output of the PC power supplies (200+250+430) and divide that by 0.6 to get a need of roughly 1180 VA for just the 3PCs ?

Another thing I'm concerned about now that I've been reading more, is fire. I leave one of the servers on 24 hours a day because it's continuously running cron jobs. I usually leave both servers on over night, a lot of times I leave all three on when I lay down for a moment and nod off.

I would hate to get used to this thing running fine with all of the things attached to it for a minute at a time, then one night nod off and discover that it overheats and starts a fire while I'm sleeping and it's been on for 15 minutes.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts