HUGE HD EMERGENCY HELP

• Champak
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Long story short, I accidentally deleted a partition/formatted one of my hard drives. I'm able to recover these through a program called "Recover my files", but the file structure and the original file names aren't recovered...so it is nearly useless...30,000 files with no names and file structure, can you imagine. Does anyone know any professional service or software that can do what I need....what the hell do the FBI or police use? Help please!

Note: this was originally a mac drive )I was using it on a PC through a program called transmac), I accidentally deleted the partition on one of those blue screens while I was formatting another hard drive.... just in case that factors into anything.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.vantagetech.com/hard-disk.html

You could try them.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

the acronis disk director suite has an option to recover a lost partition. if you can acquire that program, you could try that as another option.
then, there's always some software from Active to do pretty much anything you want.. lol http://www.partition-recovery.com/
  • GDH
  • Born
  • Born
  • GDH

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should be able to get the full file and folder structure back using Recover My Files (http://www.recovermyfiles.com). Did you try running a "Complete File Search" of drive for the default selected file types? When the search is finished this should bring back the full file and folder structure and display it in "Folder View" of the Recover My Files resutls screen.
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just curious is it a usb HD and what partition type was it.
  • Champak
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF = These guys are nice people, was helpful in attempting to diagnose the problem, but WAY too expensive. $250 JUST to look at it with no guarantees. THEN the billing starts.

AnarchY SI = The program from Active is useless, it didn't see ANY of the deleted files. I'll check out disk director.

GDH = Recover my Files will show the file name and structure, but that's only when it is not a format recovery it seems. When I do a regular search for deleted files, I do get the structure back.

ynyfrik = It is a firewire drive, and I assume it has to be a FAT partition because it was running on a mac, which type of FAT I dont know...what impact does that bring?

I also tried a program called "EasyRecovery Professional", did a much better job in finding files that "Recover my files" because it found just about every file type in two hours, while "Recover My Files" took 5 days and didn't recover every file type. But evern "EasyRecovery Pro" didn't give me back my file structure.

Any other suggestions?
  • ynyfrik
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ynyfrik
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a usb hard drive in which i deleted my partition while carelessly deleting partitions during windows install but noticing and stopping. I ended up removing my HD from the enclosure and connecting it inside my computer and using Stellar Phoenix FAT NTFS v2.0 and Active@ Partition Recovery for DOS they both worked for me.
  • Champak
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't touched dos since win95 besides watching the screen boot up in safe mode, so I don't remember ANYTHING, and even find it a more difficult to even get into dos. Could you walk me through it a little please?

Also do I put the HD as a secondary or the main?

Edit************
Well, hopes dashed, it is one of those damn lacie HD and I can't figure out how to open it.
  • Champak
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before I go into what has happened so far with the suggestions, I think I found the problem. Bad sectors which may be preventing the programs from getting the map or something(don't remember the technical term), from my count, I think 13....ironic number. I did some quick research and there seems to be software out there that can help in this. I started to use one, but stopped and decided to ask to see if anyone has had any history with these things. Please advise and if possibly, specific program to use.
  • Champak
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, I put this thing down for the past 6 months after going through about 15 different file recovery, repair, regenerators, and whatever else with no luck and pure frustration. I looked at the hard drive yesterday and said, "Let me try one more thing." So I found this program that works on XP that recovers Mac file systems specifically called "Quick Recovery For Macintosh" http://www.recoveryourdata.com/mac-data ... l#download. And now I can see every file on the hard drive that was wiped with the file structures and proper name. Problem is this program is a little glitchy. So does anyone know of another hard drive/partition recovery program that will work on XP, but look for HFS and HFS+ file structure?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts