Hyper threading v hyper transport...

• Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have heard of hyper threading before... but i was looking at AMD 64 bit processors today, and they all said 'hyper transport' on them... i was wondering what the heck it was...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• FiveseveN
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Nowhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

64 bit... back in my "good 'ol days", Win32 applications were a luxury. I'm curious as to what 64 bit technology can do... I mean, besides more realistic games.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

HyperTransport is a bus protocol that enables data to flow between interconnected chips at speeds ranging from 6.4 gigabytes to 12.8 gigabytes per second.

It can be used to speed data flow in a number of ways. The technology's flexibility means that a variety of server configurations can easily be built with the Opteron (The AMD Opteron™ processor )

HyperTransport is the glue that allows you to do a two- or a four-way with the same amount of effort

As long as your all connected to the same !

IBM built HyperTransport links into its PowerPC 970 chip, which will ship with Apple's G5 desktop computers by the end of August.

"HyperTransport is one of many I/O technologies that is rapidly becoming a standard chip-to-chip communications technology for high-performance processors and subsystems.

For IBM, however, HyperTransport will not replace Rapid IO, another high speed chip communication protocol the company promotes. Su noted IBM will provide HyperTransport "along with other leading I/O technologies to our customers requiring low latency and high bandwidth."

Although AMD invented HyperTransport, the protocol is royalty free.
AMD is an Intel rival, Intel regards HyperTransport as an alternative to its own technology.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahhh... i get it now, tyvm
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

HyperTransport isn't as useful as Hyperthreading on most computers. Think about it.....

When you need hypertransport you are wanting to transfer a lot of data to the processor, memory, graphics card, hdd, etc.... Some of them, especially the Hard drive, don't operate at that high of a speed and so the extra speed isn't really that noticable.

Now with hyperthreading, well who doesn't have more than 1 thread executing at a time? So it really fills in the extra room in the processor. Check the flash demo of HT on Intels website if you aren't sure what I mean.
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

to late... i got the athlon 64bit w/ hyper transport

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts