Hyperthreading

• Casey
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Iowa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is Intel's hyperthreading technology software independent?

i.e. Will I reap benefits using a hyperthreading capable processor + motherboard with software that is not specifically tailored for a hyperthreading processor?

Everything thing I've heard on it says multi-threaded applications work better on HT processors, but they never mention if they have to be made to work on that specific processor.

I guess I'm asking all of this because I'm planning on running Fedora Core 3 on a HT processor, and I was wondering if it would provide additional benefit over a regular processor.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

My company recently upgraded our desktop computers from P4 2.8Ghz to P4 2.8Ghz with hyperthreading. All other components are basically the same (windows XP, 1GB memory, 7200rpm hdd.)

I have noticed a definite speed increase when doing normal support activities such as: formatting hdd, installing the operating system, installing applications, and defragmenting hdd.

The difference isn't like night and day, but everyone can tell that the hyperthreading machines are faster during most day-to-day operations.

Hope this helps.
  • tejasxp
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tejasxp
  • Loc: Singapore

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hyperthreading processors are capable of processing two threads at the same time, which is almost like a dual-processor machine, only less.

The performance increase definitely depends on the applications you use, especially for softwares that require a lot of processing power, like video encoding or games. For example if your video encoding software has multi-threaded support (most softwares dont), then the performance increase would be significant. If its only a single-threaded application, then the increase in performance wont be much as the processing is still done in one thread.

However even for single-threaded applications there would be a performance increase, as there is an increase in throughput due to two concurrent threads. For general purpose use, there wouldnt be much difference, but for processor-intensive applications, you can expect slightly better speed and better responsiveness of background applications.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hyperthreading can break some software. My company's software is an example of this.
  • lhuser
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

the Hyperthreading technology let's you just handles more threads than a regular CPU without HT.

Also ,the cache is greater.

I have a P4 With the Hyperthreading technology and I' satisfied with it
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

You know, i know this have nothing to do with the topic but how is "cache" pernouced?

Is it pernouced " Cash"?
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, it is pronounced "cash."

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts