Ibm Thinkpad T23 Boot Problem

• vnl
  • Born
  • Born
  • vnl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

My T40 got the same problem, I'm wondering if anyone of you had your T40 fixed, please help me, thanks a lot
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• neber
  • Born
  • Born
  • neber

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for a cool discussion group, just what I was looking for. There are some good hints about how to fix old T23 IBM's. I have a challenge for you guys, I too have a T23 with 866 Mhz. processor, 13 inch, pc133 so dimm 256 MB 144-pins, 40 GB HD 5400 rpm.
Guys I really hope you can help me with this, it is a very nice laptop, as many other owners already are saying and I’m no different. I have new ram and hard disk in it and I don’t think it is a fan or a magnet problem. I’m hoping it’s a soldering matter. Thinking of taking it to a TV-radio repair shop, but I don’t know where it should be re-soldered.

Problems and symptoms (history of events):
1) It began freezing after the hot summer we had, and also giving me a blue screen. I tried changing the ram, which stopped the blue screen, but still it froze. Back then I had given up on the laptop and returned the new ram.

2) But then I found this discussion group and I looked inside the laptop. I took off the heatsink and found that there was a little grease left. I reapplied some grease and it worked for a day….

3) Bought some ram again. But still it wouldn’t work properly. It then became a challenge for me and also I didn’t want to return the ram.

4) I changed the hard disk with a new one, because pcdoctor said it had an “excessive shock” on it and I thought it might be that… But no.

5) Found some additional sites, which could explain the problem… But no.
a) “IBM Laptop freezes when moved”: It seemed to freeze when I put my finger on the cover outside the ram slot. So soldering the ram slot could solve the problem. I haven’t done it, because after a while it didn’t seem to care where I put my fingers.
http://www-new.experts-exchange.com/Har ... d=21183949
b) “Why do I get a blue screen…” “physical memory dump”.
http://www.rockware.com/support/questio ... h_rvs.html
Didn’t seem to help

6) So after some months of frustration the problems are still:
a) A boot problem, it gives 4 beeps (have also heard 8 beeps). This indicates ram, ram slot or system board problem according the manual.
b) When it starts windows (sometimes), it would crash with a freeze or give a blue screen with a reboot (sometimes without). It say “physical memory dump” with different codes every time. And sometimes I’m able to work on it, for a couple of hours.

Neber
  • dsmitty308
  • Born
  • Born
  • dsmitty308
  • Loc: Arizona

Post 3+ Months Ago

twmspro wrote:
I'm glad I could help you. The T23's are nice little laptops. Very sturdy seems like to me. Glad I could help.

I had my T23 quit about 3 weeks ago. It happened a minute after inserting a PCMCIA NIC. I figured it was toast and bought what was supposed to be a parts T23 off Ebay. It turned out to be a working laptop :D :D :D :D :D so I still wanted to get mine working.

I found this thread and have been studying it for the last few days. I had downloaded the FRU replacement manual from IBM. That helped a lot when I took the computer apart today. When I finally got the motherboard removed, the magnet looking coil was still it. I pried it lightly with a screwdriver and it popped off.

I then decided to dig out my 35 year old soldering iron and was able to solder the two connections back together.

I then reassembled the laptop and it works fine! But I did have some leftover screws.

Had I not found this thread, I probably would have parted out my T23!

Thanks for all the great help!

Smitty
  • jhaanti
  • jhaanti
  • Loc: San Jose, CA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello All,

A google search with intermittent fan behaviour on my 4+ years old T23 pointed me to this wonderful discussion. I was wondering if any body still had the picture of that "magnet looking part" that twmspro posted. It would be very helpful in me not screwing things up. I have taken apart keyboard and stuff, but main board is still there. Do I need to take the main board out, and look at the bottom of it?

Thanks in advance,

Jhaanti
  • jhaanti
  • jhaanti

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, never mind with the pictures. Firefox somehow didn't show me the picture the first couple of times I loaded the first page of this thread. However, on the 4th load, the pictures are there, and now I have a better idea as to what to look for.

Now I'll try to solder it, and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks twmspro again,

Jhaanti
  • dsmitty308
  • Born
  • Born
  • dsmitty308

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, that part is on the bottom of the motherboard and the motherboard has to be removed.
If you have my luck, you will have some screws left over when you are done!

Smitty
  • jhaanti
  • jhaanti

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Smitty,

Those parts don't appear to be lose at all. Some earlier comments indicated that even if they appear to be cemented tight, it helps to remove them anyway, and re-solder them. Will give that a shot, should take a deep breath or two before I try this kind of micro surgery.

Jhaanti
  • jhaanti
  • jhaanti

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, 2R5 N18 came right off after a little bit of pressure from a screw-driver. However, the soldering part appears to be beyond my skills, as the head of the soldering iron I have it too thick. I'll try to find a local TV shop who would solder this for me.

Will let you know the results.

Jhaanti
  • dsmitty308
  • Born
  • Born
  • dsmitty308

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good Luck!

Smitty
  • jhaanti
  • jhaanti

Post 3+ Months Ago

No such luck. After soldering and resoldering that inductor, the behaviour of the fan is still the same. Fan starts up for a little bit while booting, and then goes dead. Is there any way to have the fan just always running, rather than having it run on demand? Perhaps I can wire it up that way? What are the three wires going into the fan?

Jhaanti
  • jhaanti
  • jhaanti

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is there some re-calibration of thermal sensors required? What tool do I use to do that?
  • dsmitty308
  • Born
  • Born
  • dsmitty308

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think that having the fan run all the time would correct the booting problem.

When my laptop was not working, the fan would go fast and slow. Now that it is running, the fan will run for awhile upon booting and then stop when the CPU cools down. When it heats up, the fan will come back on until it cools again.

Good Luck
Smitty
  • trist4n
  • Born
  • Born
  • trist4n

Post 3+ Months Ago

H U G E T H A N K S !

I'm back from 2 hours of hardware surgery,
Soldering the magnet-like piece solved the problem here !

Thanks again ! I registered just to say that :D
  • elado
  • Born
  • Born
  • elado

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks twmspro
writing this message from my trusty t23 resurrected and operational once again, took me about two hours of disassembly but i finally found the little bugger , no great soldering skills so i just used some super glue under the magnet let it dry and put it all together now just have to find the missing screws left on the table also some screw holders were severed too so i glued them back together at the same time , wish i had some epoxy to make it even more snug, hope i wont have to do it again quite nerve wercking.
its kinda funny like the guys at ibm thought "well 5 years are more then enough for laptop lets design it so it disconnects in 5-6 years.
just kiddin thou this is my only pc for a year and it has seen some serious milage i'm surprised it lasted this long
thanks again twmspro registered to say thank you

greets from israel
  • grumpy
  • Born
  • Born
  • grumpy
  • Loc: CLEVELAND,OH

Post 3+ Months Ago

I TOO HAVE THIS PROBLEM, I BOUGHT A T23 WITH A 20 GIG HD WIPEDE CLEAN, NO AC ADAPTOR, NO RAM( THOUGHT IT DID) I PLUGGED IN MY DAUGHTERS AC FROM A T20 AND NO LUCK NOTHING HAPPENED. SWAPED OUT BATTERIES, STILL NO LUCK, ADED RAM, SAME PROBLEM. I'M GOING TO TRY TEARING IT APART AND SEE IF THE ROUND MAGNET DISK IS LOOSE.
I'LL LET YOU KNOW
THANKS
  • RavingZeus
  • Born
  • Born
  • RavingZeus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys!

I also have a T23 with a fan problem. The laptop won't boot at all, I get a FAN ERROR on startup, I don't hear the fan running at all... It did that to me 3-4 times before but after a couple of reboot it was OK. But now it'S dead...

I took it apart last night and checked the board and there was nothing loose. I put some pressure on the magnet and it's not loose at all.

What can be the problem? The board or the fan?

Do some of you know how to test the fan, what voltage do I have to send to it to test it and what are the 3 wires going to it? Wich one is positive and negative...

Thanks for your help!
  • EBill
  • Born
  • Born
  • EBill

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive had the same problems as described here by a few people. Ive taken it apart and the solder joints on the little "magnets" seem firm. however ill reattach them and see if that does the trick.

please le me know if anyone found any other weak spots on the MOBO!

cheers guys, great help, i hope to report back with some success.
  • dsigma6
  • Loc: Philadelphia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Run PC doctor. There is a file available on the Lenovo site that combines all three diagnostic discs onto one bootable CD, but this is all I can find at the moment.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4YZM3F

edit: Here's a link to an .iso (courtesy of rkawakami on thinkpads.com), but it's not working ATM:

http://www.kawakami-ca.com/ibm_t2x/ibm_t22_pcdiag.iso
  • flamingfuture
  • flamingfuture
  • Loc: ShenZhen,China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now I'm suffering the same problem. People in forum told me it's the problem of the fan. Too much dust has gone inside which stops the fan from running normally.
The solution is to clean the fan, and then reinstall it.
  • Lonely_
  • Born
  • Born
  • Lonely_

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a T23 and when i try to start it up nothing happens i mean nothing no lights no fan not a thing i took it a part and don't see any problems i tested it with a multimeter its geting power but it don't do anything and that one magnet is still on the board please help
  • flamingfuture
  • flamingfuture
  • Loc: ShenZhen,China

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lonely,
You try to remove the battery installed and then reboot. Sometimes loose battery may cause boot faliure.
Another cause might be the input current.
If not, the problem must be on the mother board.You'll need to consult the technician.
  • Mafradon
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mafradon
  • Loc: Netherlands

Post 3+ Months Ago

I Know what is wrong with the Thinkpad.
The problem is the built in thremal sensors.
If thea malfunction the pc wont start.
  • esmail
  • Born
  • Born
  • esmail

Post 3+ Months Ago

suri wrote:
Thanks twmspro, I had the same problem (fan low/high and no boot) and with your help I have been able to run my old T23 again. :) I was thinking to sell it off ebay as a faulty laptop but now its all working. When I opened my laptop the magnet like part was completely detached and was lying in the casing. This is definitely a manufacturing issue and should be reported to ibm. Now I am thinking about buying similar laptops off ebay to make some money :D

Cheers!

I had the same problem a few days ago and was already considering selling this off on eBay and getting a new laptop.

Now I have hope. I disassembled the system, and sure enough, one end of the connection was broken, and the other readily broke off when I touched it.

My soldering skills aren't *that* great, so I will have to wait a few days for a person who is good with this to do this for me.

Hopefully I will be able to put all the many pieces together again.
(By the way, anyone know what this little component actually does?)

I agree, this seems to be a manufacturering problem with IBM and they really ought to do something about this.
  • esmail
  • Born
  • Born
  • esmail

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to update, once the piece was resoldered, the T23 booted up very
nicely (in fact I am using it to post right now).

Thanks again for the original poster of the images/solution to this problem,
it saved me lots of $$ and time/hassle to be able to fix the problem myself.

Esmail
  • jobe
  • Born
  • Born
  • jobe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks to twmspro and everyone for this super information. I had similar problems and found after dismantling the tp that the same soldering repair was needed. Got an iron from Radio Shack at 8:45Pm and fixed it. Some what sloppy soldering but I haven't soldered for a long time! Put it back together and worked fine except...The machine now shuts down after 10-30 minutes of operation. I think it's overheating, the air coming from the fan is hot as is the bottom of the computer near the cpu. I did not replace the thermal grease (neither RS nor I had any last night). Could that be the problem? Thanks in advance for the help.

Joe
  • thefivechinesebrothers
  • Born
  • Born
  • thefivechinesebrothers

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same exact problem however I have an IBM R50P. Is the magnet placement the same? I checked the component that looks like the one above and it seem intacted.
  • joneeboy
  • Born
  • Born
  • joneeboy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

Here is one for you, I have a beep message and no boot up on my daughters T23 model 2648. It is either 1-3-3-1 or 3-3-1 do you include the first beep? and then it drops out leaving the power light on and the fan running?! Have whacked in a boot disk but nothing. It is running xp pro and I have forgotten the spec as we have 3 laptops here and 5 at work!

Any help or advice would greatly appreciated. I have not been inside the machine yet.
Joneeboy.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, I'm sure you include the first beep.

1-3-3-1 has something to do with ram on Ibm Thinkpad T23

Also, the error codes at the bottom of this site might come to some use to some people.
  • Christian_ro
  • Born
  • Born
  • Christian_ro

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the exact problem with my T23, i spent 5 days and didn`t figured. After a google search i found this forum and with twmspro`s informations i resolved it. My IBM works again.

@twmspro many thanks from over seas!
  • renfrowk
  • Born
  • Born
  • renfrowk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same problem. Has anyone contacted IBM about this problem? Any responses?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 112 posts