Ibm Thinkpad T23 Boot Problem

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

IBM could care less about depreciated end-of-life legacy laptops. They will tell you that the warranty is expired and you are better off buying a new one.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• renfrowk
  • Born
  • Born
  • renfrowk

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
IBM could care less about depreciated end-of-life legacy laptops. They will tell you that the warranty is expired and you are better off buying a new one.

So true.

Good news. I was troubleshooting my problem (the symptoms were identical to the original problem described in this forum) and I was able to get the laptop working fine once I unplugged my modem chip. Maybe this will be useful for someone else on this forum. Worth trying before you dig down to the motherboard.

-Kevin
  • TCarter
  • Born
  • Born
  • TCarter

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have to take out the motherboard to solder it and do all of the magnet things have 2R5-N23. Thanks
  • renfrowk
  • Born
  • Born
  • renfrowk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes. It's actually on the underside of the motherboard.
  • azoic
  • Born
  • Born
  • azoic
  • Loc: Ottawa

Post 3+ Months Ago

A most excellent thread. I took the plunge and disassembled the T23, and the magnet in question is rock solid. I tried all the suggestions in this thread to no avail, and still I am unable to resolve this issue. I must say as a 50 year old guy, though I am undaunted by the entire process, I simply do not have the steady hand that the younger folks have, and so soldering is something of the past for me. This is only the second time I disassembled a laptop, but I am looking forward to more exploration in this area. I just wish I could find the real problem with this laptop, it is about 2 years since bought it, and has been nothing but a $500 brick since 3 months after I purchased it. I already tested the RAM and replaced the hard drive when if failed.

I certainly welcome any further suggesting in the event I have left some stone unturned.

Thanks to all and kudos the adventurous young folks who braved forward in resolving their issues
  • wolf359
  • Born
  • Born
  • wolf359
  • Loc: NM

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks twmspro!

Upon finding and reading this thread this morning, I immediately tore my T23 down and got the mainboard out. With just a little pressure the coil popped off. One side was completely loose already. It looked like there was a layer of grey corrosion or flux at each solder pad. I scraped them clean and resoldered the coil down. It was difficult to fit my iron's tip behind one of the surface mount components on the edge of the board, but I got it. I put it back together with only one screw and a bit of metal left over.
It powers up and I'm using it right now.

Thanks again. I definitely couldn't afford a new laptop.
  • DINZERILLO
  • Born
  • Born
  • DINZERILLO

Post 3+ Months Ago

pictures from twmspro no longer load! please re-post someone! thanks!
  • Extrememr2
  • Born
  • Born
  • Extrememr2

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to post something I learned.
I found this thread searching for my problem.
The freezing and blue screen part sounded like the same issue, except I was not having any issues with fans or fan speeds.

I read another post about someone who also was having an issue with their T23, when the lower section of the computer (The door you can open to access the ram) was depressed the computer froze.

I tested this and sure enough my computer was freezing whenever I moved the computer and or applied pressure to this RAM access door.

Opening the door nothing looked out of the oridanary, although I am not an expert.

I have 1 RAM chip 256mb which was located in the front slot.
I moved the RAM chip to the back empty slot and WA LA fixed.
After this I looked close at everything..
- The door that goed over the RAM is ver flexible and was able the move the RAM stick in the front slot, but was not able to move the RAM stick once placed in the rear close because the RAM access door is supported better back there.

Hope this helps anyone who had this nightmare of an issue.

( I bought this computer as my first laptop, its use was for tuning my car. It was very frustrating having the laptop freeze while trying to correct my cars idle etc.).
  • lmkitties
  • Born
  • Born
  • lmkitties

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ohmigosh, thank you TMSWPRO. Your solution worked. The magnet thingy was in the bottom of the case, rattling around, just like you said it would be. I took it and the board to a computer shop and had the piece soldered back on. It was some task taking this computer apart. I'm no computer wiz. In fact, I'm an accountant who has never done anything like this. The instructions on the Lenovo site for taking apart the computer are fantastic. If I can do it, anybody can. Here's a refresh to the link for the publication that shows you how to take apart the T20, T21, T22 and T23.

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/mo ... 2p9631.pdf

If this link fails to work, just go to the Lenovo site and type in the name of the file in the Search box: 62p9631.pdf.

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread. It has saved me.
  • cenheart
  • Born
  • Born
  • cenheart

Post 3+ Months Ago

THx this board and this thread i've found also that *peach* problem on my T23!
hope i can do the soldering!
  • alanmcl
  • Born
  • Born
  • alanmcl

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks twmspro this problem occured on my t23 laptop about 3 week ago took it to the local computer shop paid £28 pounds to be told it could not be fixed found your forum took it apart using the hardware manual which is here http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... IGR-4UYM3F
and is the PDF 62p9631.pdf called the Hardware Maintenance Manual
soldered the piece back in place put it back together and it works fine again.

Thanks again without this forum I would be buying another laptop this Christmas.
  • tchaiket
  • Born
  • Born
  • tchaiket

Post 3+ Months Ago

I read the thread and decided to open up my T23. I found the magnet looking piece lying on the bottom of the case. Wow! Exact same problem. However, it looks like my problem is with a different chip(or whatever this is). Here is a picture.

I'm not familiar with soldering. My question is how do I know how this chip should be placed. When I flip over this chip I see the 2 connections. But how do I know which connection goes with which on the board.
Thanks!
  • Abkanis_Liver
  • Born
  • Born
  • Abkanis_Liver

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a IBM t21 laptop that is experiencing almost an Identical Problem,
it doesn't boot, the fans run, and a few of the LED's run but nothing more.

Interestingly, It will sometimes boot if I apply pressure to random areas of the underside, and work normally except that it doesn't "restart" but just hangs at the "Windows is shutting down screen" indefinitely.

I would very much Like to get this thing fixed, since its technically not mine, and has served me oh so well in the 2 weeks it was in my possession before this started. (I am inline to inherit it).

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

Specs: 800mhz processor, one chip of 128ram, win98se, 20gb hdd
  • Nightshift_HD
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nightshift_HD

Post 3+ Months Ago

tchaiket wrote:
I read the thread and decided to open up my T23. I found the magnet looking piece lying on the bottom of the case. Wow! Exact same problem. However, it looks like my problem is with a different chip(or whatever this is). Here is a picture.

I'm not familiar with soldering. My question is how do I know how this chip should be placed. When I flip over this chip I see the 2 connections. But how do I know which connection goes with which on the board.
Thanks!

tchaiket, I'm not sure if you ever got an answer, but I have two T23s with the "fan error" problem on bootup, and have just read this thread and decided to tear them apart. I'm holding the MOBO of one unit, and looking at the pair of magnet thingys on the bottom side. I don't think it matters which way you solder it back on, but mine is on tight, and the "5R2 N24" on it is facing the left side of your picture (ie: just the way you have it oriented in your picture).
  • Nightshift_HD
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nightshift_HD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope people are still reading this thread, as my T23s do not have any loose magnet thingys. There are 3 of them on the MOBO, 2 on the bottom side and 1 on top side, and all are securely soldered on.

Yet my units won't boot anymore ... all I get is 2 beeps and then "Fan Error". So if it's not the magnet thingys causing this problem on mine, and ideas what to look for next?
  • Nightshift_HD
  • Born
  • Born
  • Nightshift_HD

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I looked at the MOBO closely, and in particular those 3 magnet thingys. With a little exacto knife, I gently pryed on each of them, and what'd'ya'know ... they all popped off. Very easily I might add. 90 minutes later, I have cleaned the contacts on them, re-soldered them back on, and then put the whole thing back together.

Crossed my finger and hit the power button. Reset the date and time in the BIOS and voila ... #1 T23 seems to be purrin' like a kitten again. Sweet. Now to let it run overnight and see how it's doing in the morning. If still fine, I'll do the same to #2 T23 tomorrow.

Thanks for this useful thread. And in particular TWMSPRO for getting us started on the right path with the magnet thingys!
  • guard
  • Born
  • Born
  • guard

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would like to thank you all for you help...it saved me from selling the t23 off as parts on ebay....the info was dead on and it was the MOBO!! Off to the computer shop for some soldering work!
  • guard
  • Born
  • Born
  • guard

Post 3+ Months Ago

well.....no one at the computer shops would touch it the mother board...they look horrified...or we don't do that or they wanted $$$ up front ....told them all to beat it....do it myself... see spending Over a $100..or more on a this t23 to fix it...I did it my self......carefully and it worked!! Man...it felt good!!!

Again, thanks you all for this post....I know it will help some one else down the road!

Peace!
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey folks. It's been a while. I've been having some recent t23 problems myself, again. Sometimes when I first pull the computer out of my bag to turn it on, it's had time to cool down, i get one beep, then continous series's of three beeps. I then shake the computer around for a little, cycling through plugging it in taking my wifi card out and the like. After a few minutes it turns on, but sits at post with the screen off. After a few more tries it finally comes on and boots.

I have also been getting random bsod's and freeze's. Everything I've looked at suggests that it would be bad ram. The thing is there's always been one slot that goes dead whenever it likes. I have 2 DIMM's of 128mb. The computer is currently taken apart and I see no appearant problems with anything other than dirty contacts and broken plastic and metal. Thank god the for metal cage.

As for the photos that I put up forever and half ago, I currently don't have a computer capable of accesing my SATA drives. I've been desktop less for about 6-7 months and it's a pain in the ass. If I can find them again, I'll put them back up somewhere.

As long as ozzu emails me about these thread updates, I should be able to contribute to these issues.
  • Critical Air
  • Born
  • Born
  • Critical Air

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I came across this site due to a freezing issue, and I originally tried to update the BIOS due to some advice. Unfortunatly, the computer froze during the BIOS update, and now nothing appears. I'm not sure if that's a BIOS problem, or a problem with the 'magnets'. Does anyone know how to restore the BIOS, as I'm pretty sure it was toasted when it froze during the update. Thanks!!!
  • thinkpadt40
  • Born
  • Born
  • thinkpadt40

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Everybody,

My T40 Laptop is having the same startup problem and I am considering giving this solution a try. Can anyone post the pics of the "magnet" like things so I have an idea of what they look like. Thanks very much in advance.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sup folks. Excuse me for being gone a while since my last post. School and switching to OSX86 have been taking a lot of my time tweaking and such. My hard drive intended for my backup oddly lost all my files. out of about 98 gigs of stuff on there i only got back about 7 gigs. i'll look for the pictures. I doubt i have them anywhere.
  • thinkpadt40
  • Born
  • Born
  • thinkpadt40

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi twmspro
Can you post the pics of the "magnet" like things so I have an idea of what they look like? Thanks very much in advance.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I can find the photos yes. I most likely wont be able too. They should be floating out on the internet somewhere.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Got em. You my friend are in some major luck. I just so happen to have them in my web folder of my web server. The domain's not active, so that's why the links dont work.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/twmsdude/s ... 682294460/

enjoy
  • thinkpadt40
  • Born
  • Born
  • thinkpadt40

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a ton!! twmspro
My T40 is now all dissected and in front of me. The mobo here is quite different from the T23. I can see only 1 magnet like piece (150 N41) here. It seems though that this part is pretty firmly attached. I tried pushing it around with some gentle force to see if it would pop out but it stays pretty firm. One thing though. I tried pressing down the thing firmly and I think that I heard a click sound. If this was because of a loose contact, I hope this fixes the machine. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Will report back in a couple of hours on success/failure.
  • thinkpadt40
  • Born
  • Born
  • thinkpadt40

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, This is going to be a long post but I guess its better to give all possible details. First5 though, I would like to thank all the people who have posted here. Until I found this thread, I had almost given up hopes of reviving my laptop but now it at least seems possible. Now to the actual stuff. My problem with my t40 (1.5 Ghz Pentium M, 1 Gig RAM, 60 Gig HD 5400 rpm, Windows XP SP2) is 2 pronged - 1st my computer just freezes and hangs and when I shut it down forcefully and try to restart it, it won't boot and the fan problem starts. At first I thought that both the problems were related, so I formatted my HD and reinstalled Windows. Unfortunately, the problem became worse and my laptop started freezing after abt 30 mins of operation and then wouldn't reboot.

So I decided to follow IBM's troubleshooting guide. This is what I did:
1. Ran PC-Doctor - Everything was fine.
2. Reseated hardware (DIMM, HDD, CD/DVD Drive, Mini PCI card) - Problem was still there.
3. Updated BIOS - NO Help.

Then I found this thread and this is what I did:
4. Took everything apart to check for the magnet thingy. Here I found that the T40 mobo is diff. Found only on the underside and it was firm. There were a few on the top side as well. Checked them too. Everything seems fine. Put everything back together and rebooted. The boot problem seems to have eased up. M/c boots up 1 in every 2-3 attempts but still freezes after 30 mins.
5. Removed the Mini PCI card and the daughter communications card. Now my system is running much better. Freeze frequency has dropped but the problem is still there.

So now, I really don't know what to do. Will try to update my drivers but I don't know how far that will get me. Can anybody suggest what might be the problem or how to fix the freeze/reboot issue. Any help will be appreciated. I need my PC for work and I can't afford a new one now. Thanks a lot!!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to the first post of this thread (made by twmspro) and read the list of things that are not the problem. Even though they are suggested as not being the problem, test those things out as the problem doesn't reside in a loose connection.
  • mwalimu
  • Born
  • Born
  • mwalimu

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi
i'm a germa volunteer in tazania and my t23 has the same boot prolemes as some of you have descried here before: screen stays dark and a 1-3-3-1 bios beep is heard.
after shaking laptop slightly it starts after 1 up to 15 trys. when booted it works perfectly, no freezes or beeps.
i dont know much about laptops but since i'm in tanzania noone can help me here.
any ideas would be appreaciated.
could it also be the magnet like piece at the motheroard or the DIMM.
how could i fix it... do i need a ironyig thing (piston...i dont know the i dont know the english term) . so far i only have a screwdriver ;-)
thx in advance,
mwalimu
  • articularPig
  • Born
  • Born
  • articularPig

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same errors and looked to see if the magnets were dislodged. This was not the problem as they were both firmly in place. I noticed that the thermal compound between the processor and the fan was dry and brittle and suspected that heat dissipation was the issue. I purchased some thermal compound at radio shack, cleaned the heat sink and the processor with rubbing alcohol, and applied a thin new coat. It's been more than 24 hours and the laptop had not had one issue since!! All you need to do is remove the keyboard and the top plastic frame to remove the fan. Good luck.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 112 posts