IMPORTANT - HP LCD Monitor

• packy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • packy
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georga

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just discovered the reason my HP LCD monitor has been acting up for the past 6 months. Problem has been intermittent but today I have no video.

After much searching I found the url below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/gene ... 9521&lc=en

I believe all the requirements for a replacement (except it has been > 27 months since it was manufactured.) should allow me to get a replacement.

Since I had the problem within the time period but did not report it or was not
aware of HP's extended warranty I believe it will take too long to battle HP, thus the purpose of this post is to advise the community of the know problem with the HP Pavilion f1703 LCD Monitor and it's Intermittent Video, No Video, No Backlight issues.

Has anyone taken one of these apart? I see no screws or anything to take the unit apart.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
:(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately you need a documented helpdesk case pertinent to the problems with the monitor to get a replacement past that date. Your best bet is to purchase a new monitor. I've seen Dell and HP 19" LCD's as low as $230.
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824104001
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just watch with those Fly-By-Night companies. You get what you pay for. If you go cheap, you will get cheap.
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, the reviews looked pretty good -

----------------------

Pros: Great 19" monitor. Works great with the games I run. Saves a ton of space over my 17" CRT moniter and does not run as hot. Image quality is nice and sharp....

Cons: Have one pixel in the upper right hand corner that doesn't want to get with the program. Usually clears up after the moniter warms up. Also, had a weird problem when I first hooked it up. I would ... More »
right click on the desktop so I could go to properties and the comp would freeze up. Changing my video card drivers fixed the problem (GeForce 4800). No real complaints.

-----------------------

Pros: I was a bit uneasy about going with a brand I've never heard of but this monitor is excellent! Great picture and not a single dean pixel....

Cons: I wish the hight of the monitor was adjustable. Sits a bit low.... More »

Other Thoughts: Can't beat the monitor for the price.

-----------------------

Hey, I'd buy it.
  • packy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • packy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Believe problem is somewhat heat related. Turning unit off when not in use.
System would normally go to power saver mode but now I don't wait for that to happen.

Like the HP 1703 because the LCD can be adjusted height/distance to the user with ease.

Monitor went out 3- 4 times while I was creating this post.

Hit the power switch multiple times and now it is working for the moment.

Cheap is cheap but cheap may have to work for me at this time.

$ 139.00 walk-in still might be better since the unit was $ 349 and it is almost perfect for my application.

No funds so living with the issue until something changes.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

X3ndou wrote:
Hey, the reviews looked pretty good -

Reviews from anonymous web users that may or may not have actually used that particular item are useless, solely based on the fact that most people are stupid.

My dad was in the market for an HDTV and he is the kind of person that likes to think too much with his wallet and not enough with his brain. If he can save a buck, he will. Well he wanted some No Name 42" plasma because it was like half the price of the others, and I told him not to be stupid. All the reviews on the web were 'OK', but they were most likely manufactured. Over fifty reviews with the same misspellings and 2nd grade dropout grammar from 50 different people? I don't think so. So I decided to find out who built them, serviced them, imported them, etc… The company itself had 4 open lawsuits on defective hardware that actually caused one house fire. The Better Business Bureau even gave them a rating of 'F' and had a big fat warning sign to not use them. Heck, even the district attorney in the local where they were incorporated was investigating them and even said the owner had just got out of prison for running a counterfeit hardware con, making guess what? Fake brand name HDTV's. He got caught the first time because one of his TV's had caused a fire.

So I say again, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Sure, there is only a 1 in 100 chance that your product will have a problem, but when other brand names have a 1 in 100,000 – You need to think about more than saving a dollar. These retail stores and even online retailers fall into the trap of getting hardware for dirt cheap and then selling it at a much higher profit margin and still have it be a lot lower than the competition.

Money drives people to do a lot of stupid people to do even more stupid things. Like I said before, most people are stupid. That’s a fact.

Wasn't it Einstein himself that said there were three constants – The Universe, Taxes and Human Stupidity?
</rant>
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quite an interesting story there GT! lol
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can be amazed at what you can find out, and you don't even need to be a police officer. I also did a lot of the investigating from work, using work letterhead and my full title. I am also a volunteer firefighter, so I had my chief send out some requests.

I do a lot of investigating when I make purchases. I find the best retailer for the best parts for the best price. Heck, I will even negotiate at a brick and mortar store for a lower price. It takes me 6 months to design and build a computer. Took me a year to buy a car, and I had to do it because my old car finally died with 190,000 miles on it.
  • packy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • packy

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT:

It appears I was not clear. When I mean cheap I mean that I would pay for the repair of the $ 349 LCD instead of going to an off-brand.

I agree with you.

The HP 1703 has the best horizontal, vertical and ability to tilt which reduces eye strain and fatigue.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, compared to the Dell 1905fp it did. I used the hp 19" and had a bunch of 1905fp's but then I got the new Dell 1907FP's and they have some kick-butt moves, and I got them for $244 a pop when I bought 4.

I just wish they had thinner bezels.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts