Increasing processing power with PCIE based MCoP

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This really is an FYI for people who have inquired on the utilization of super-computing farms for math-intensive graphical and data processing. Such as digital video and graphics creating and editing as well as massive datastores.

I have sent applicable PM's to some of the possibly interested parties, but though tit better to provide a public post to benefit all who maybe inquisitve on this feat.

Co-processors to accelerate desktop PC to 50 GFlops via a PCIE expansion slot containing two math co-processors. The entire news story, albiet short, is available on Tom's Hardware at http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20 ... 14721.html

If the price is low enough, I'm temped at seeing how well this accelerates game play and entire system speed for the slightely miguided, less than sane performance user. :twisted:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok,thanks..i have printed the info out and am looking into it now..thanks again,XDUDE

i well post more as i learn more...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ya know, 50Gflops aint crap now that you think about it. Take a look at the XBox 360. Triple core dual-thread (NOT similar to Hyperthreading) processor running at 3.2Ghz per core. Technically thats a 9.6Ghz 6-simultanious thread processor capable of 1TFLOP. It would take 20 of those cards to even match that. No word however of that processor is 32bit or 64bit. If its PowerPC based I would assume it's 64bit.

I wonder if XP Pro will run on it :-D
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

i had no idea that the new xbox was so killer on specs...i thought they would do just like the onld one,dump a intel with a low clock in and call it good....if thats true it would be unstopable...lol..that would be nice if it could run windows......killer game AND computer...

what the heck happened to my SIG!?......
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but if they can make that for a stupid game box, why can't I have it in my computer? Why can't I play Xbox games on my PC? You can get an XBox for less than you can get Windows XP Pro for. I paid more money, I WANT MY GAMES BIOTCH!!!!!
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol..yeah,i TOTALY know what u mean.....i am the same way.....

u can play them on your pc,but it is not very good........
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Ya know, 50Gflops aint crap now that you think about it. Take a look at the XBox 360. Triple core dual-thread (NOT similar to Hyperthreading) processor running at 3.2Ghz per core. Technically thats a 9.6Ghz 6-simultanious thread processor capable of 1TFLOP. It would take 20 of those cards to even match that. No word however of that processor is 32bit or 64bit. If its PowerPC based I would assume it's 64bit.

I wonder if XP Pro will run on it :-D

Uuuh, youve got your maths wrong there. Its 3 3.2Ghz cores that can each take 2 threads at once. That means it can take 6 threads at 3.2Ghz?!?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Each core operates at 3.2Ghz according to Microsoft. Now its not by any means a real 9.6Ghz processor. Its comparable to have 3 3.2Ghz Hyperthreading P4's only much faster. However, Intel's HyperThreading is not a true bithreading processor. This processor is a true hardware multithread, so at each cycle 2 threads can be computed at once.

Technically, once could say its like having a 9.6Ghz processor. If one could pruchase a 9.6Ghz single core processor, thats what it would run like.

Having multiple cores, as well as new faster and less power-hungry transisters developed by IBM, this should be one really kickbutt processor.
I wouldnt be surprised if you say a processor like this hit the market from a small-time vendor who would like to see the PowerPC platform stay alive.

Kinda stupid now that MAC is going to run to Intel. IBM probably did this as a spite move for Apple's decision, or it was probably driven my Microsoft to offer a PowerPC platform to keep a hold on their market share because MAC is going to lose a lot of PowerPC officianados when it makes the switch.

They had the Xbox running on MAC G4's as test beds, I wouldnt be surpised if MS released a windows version that could operate on such a platform.

On the Xbox press releases you have to take when they say "We are hardware independant for the sake of progress" with a grain of sand. It means, Apples making a move into our cookie Jar and we can do that to take action against them to keep our stanglehodl on the market.

The man purpose of my previous post was to show that this processor can do 1TFLOP compared to what this company is ging to release that only does 50GFlops. And the XBOX is <$400, this board is going to be like $10,000.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

3 dual core 3.6 ghz processors on the xbox 369, and its true, at e3 they were running of g5's and apparently the developer kits from microsoft are also g5's
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

i hope you ment 360 and if they do any more talking about G5's i am going to get mad....I dont want G5's anywhere near my game systems....
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, it was 360. my bad. im using my dads old laptop and im not used to such a small keyboard. and no number pad. pisses me of. especially when im typing, and the cursor is at a start point [in the text of which im typing] and i touch the touchpad and end up typing in the middle of a sentence

but yeah
g5's run it!!
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

4ss_munk3y wrote:
yeah, it was 360. my bad. im using my dads old laptop and im not used to such a small keyboard. and no number pad. pisses me of. especially when im typing, and the cursor is at a start point [in the text of which im typing] and i touch the touchpad and end up typing in the middle of a sentence

but yeah
g5's run it!!

G5's run it at very poor quality though. People at E3 were complaining that the graphics looked the same if not worse than current generation PC games. Lots of jagged edges, etc. because resolution and Anti-Aliasing had to be turned down to run on a G5.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well a normal G5 can't hold a candle to a dedicated game console with a simplified and optimised OS for games. Especially with the insane video card.

None of which can you get for a standard desktop system. So I can spend $$$$$$$$ on this extreme system and a fricken $300 box blows it out of the water.

It's as dissapointing as the guy who buys a $200,000 Porche and tries to race my Mustang. Can make a grown man cry.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

XDUDE wrote:
i had no idea that the new xbox was so killer on specs...i thought they would do just like the onld one,dump a intel with a low clock in and call it good....if thats true it would be unstopable...lol..that would be nice if it could run windows......killer game AND computer...

I thought you had one...

http://www.ozzu.com/sutra235523.html
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was talking metaphorically in that form...i do plan on getting on though...that is why i didn't say i have one in my room or the home theatre..i have the old xbox with a mod chip....
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

From what I read, the XBox 360 was their plan from day 1 even before the original XBox came out. The Original XBox only served to launch them into the market so they could offer the XBox 360 and have a good following and video game support on that system.

Video Game Manufacturers had a introductory SDK to the XBox 360 6 months after the first XBox came out.

They didn't want what happend to so many other systems that were the best when they came out but they had to following and little game availability to them. The Original Xbox was their first shot "Beta test" of the video cnsole market. The 360 is the final product and end result.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts