• The_torst
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • The_torst
  • Loc: Denmark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

I just bought an external HD, and have a few questions:

Which is fastest: 2.5" HD's, or 3.5"HD's? What's the difference?

If I have a USB 2.0 port (480mbps) on a 7200 rpm HD, does the USB create some sort of bottleneck for the data transfer? I mean, how fast should the port be, in order to be able to keep up with the HD?

And finally, are the rpm's a good measure for measuring the speed of a harddisk? (speed = the amount of time it takes for it to find a given file)

I know it's a lot ;)

Thanks for reading,
Torst.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

To find the amount of time it takes for it to find a given file, you need to look at seek times and throughput. Most hard drives have a max transfer speed of 100Mbps, so a USB 2.0 port probably wouldn't be a bottle neck.
  • XDUDE
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

the main thing that "slows" down hard drives is the cable... thats y they went from IDE to ATA then ATA to SATA then SATA to SCSI and SCSI to SCSI2 now SCSI3 is moving in...now in most computers SATA is as fast as u well EVER needand in some cases IDE is also....,i do some hardcore editing so i use the faster SCSI's alone with SATA....now most 7200's run on IDE and run fine....IDE runs 'around' 150 to 200MB's per sec. some 7200's when put one SATA have a SLITE speed jump and SATA runs a lil faster than IDE with 7200's.. so if your cable dose 450MB's per sec or so then for a 7200 it well be fine unless u do a lot of data stuff,like editing and video rendering then u might want to get into internl SATA drives..or even 10K SATA drives.....
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:08 am

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts