A PC inside an Apple: is it possible?

• sonnyrizo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sonnyrizo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it possible, if you're building your own laptop, to use PC materials (HDs, motherboards, etc.) inside an Apple case? If that question doesn't make sense, I'll put it this way. I like the looks of Apple computers and laptops, but like the insides of PCs (Intel processors, ASUS motherboards, Western Digital HDs, etc.). I always wanted to combine the two. If I am making my own laptop, can I combine the two?

I wonder if its possible to combine the two.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

its most likely possible just make sure all of the stuff inside of the case of the apple is the same size as the stuff that ur going to be putting in there and another option is buying mini parts like ones that can go into cube pc's hope that helps.....

Skirge
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/mac-itx/
  • sonnyrizo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sonnyrizo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Those are all for desktops. I need something on notebooks.
  • horkam
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Central, KY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are going to have so many problems that it is not going to be worth it. First of all notebook components are hard to come by and cost prohibitive. Secondly, even if you get all the components to fit you are going to have powersupply problems. Thirdly you are going to kill a perfectly good MAC just to rig up something that will be half as fast.

The only way this would be halfway possible is to take a complete working PC and a complete working MAC of similar size disassemble them completely and have at swapping parts. You are probably still going to end up with a mess, but it might be fun to do.

Good luck
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

One thing to keep in mind: Although it is quite easy to build your own desktop machine, using the hardware YOU choose, in the case YOU like, with the accessories YOU want, LAPTOPS are still the domain of the manufacturers, and much of it is proprietary.
You can go buy the processor/vid card/mobo/sound/HD etc you want for your Desktop. You can't do that for a laptop, and the reason for this is that there are no form/factor or architecture standards for laptop computers or components, and I don't see one coming in the near future.

Disclaimer: I *believe* there is a standard for laptops, but manufacturers don't adhere to it. If they did that, they wouldn't be able to charge the prices they do for laptops, because you would be able to build one for much cheaper. That's what happened to Desktops. When I bought my first PC (Not first computer, mind you) It was a Sony Vaio 166Mhz Pentium MMX. It cost me over $2500 (This was LONG after the ATX standards were formalized, but before there were a lot of individual components for sale).
1 year later, I built a 500Mhz AMD K6-2 based machine with 3x the memory, 64MB vid card, 1GB HD and a 16x CD-Rom for 1/3 the price. Laptop manufacturers don't want that to happen again. Cuts into their profit margin.
  • Mars
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Flordia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes it is possible but the hard drive and ram wouldn't matter you can use the same one weither you have a pc or mac, What matters is the processor and motherboard.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts