installing a brand new hard drive

• hollaback04
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • hollaback04

Post 3+ Months Ago

im currently installin a brand new hard drive "western digital for C: and take out my old one, but i need some help how to run a windows xp on it, if i want to split the hard drive into 2 like 20 gig for c: and then 100 for other storage D: please give me some tips how to do that, it would be nice if u have some pic showing step by step .. aight please help me thx !!! :D :D :D
  • IMMORTAL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

For starters you need to "partition" your hard drive. If you want to "split" your hard drive, create an extended partition.

I like to use FDISK to do all of that.

After creating the partitions, you need to format your hard drive.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

first you will need to install windows XP on it, then the most basic way to do it is to use Partition Magic. it will help you make the two partitions. if you know quite abit about computers you can do what immortal said to do(it is for more advanced users)

poly
  • Ju
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ju
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I expect this has probably been posted in another thread at some point (would be surprised if it hasn't!)

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

If you've got a fast net connection, download this and burn to a CD. Then set your boot sequence to boot from CD, and you'll have a whole host of various applications for managing HDD partitions and various other useful diagnostics.

Wonderful :)

Cheers
Ju

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts