Installing a Fan

• jimiforpres
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jimiforpres

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just bought all of the parts to build a computer but I am having trouble installing the case fan. I can physically get it in, but I cannot connect it to the power supply because the wires coming out of the fan do not match with those with the power supply. Can anybody who has done this before guide me through the process?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your case fan will join to a connection on your motherboard.

Refer to your motherboard user guide/manual as to where on your mobo this connection is.

Either that or just take a look at your mobo and find a white three pin connection near your case fan, and connect it to that.
  • jimiforpres
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jimiforpres

Post 3+ Months Ago

I connected the fan to the mobo, but does that mean that I do not need to connect it to the power supply?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

jimiforpres wrote:
I connected the fan to the mobo, but does that mean that I do not need to connect it to the power supply?

No, things like your HSF [ Heat Sink Fan ] on your CPU and system fans do not get connected to your PSU, they get their power from the mobo.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am confused as to what your trying to do "jimi" If your referring to your cpu fan then all you need to do is connect the small pin to your motherboard and that's all. Start your pc and watch if the fan is rotating, if it is then your good to go
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

unstopabl3 wrote:
I am confused as to what your trying to do "jimi"

I shall clarify the situation for you seeing as you haven't quiet grasped what he is attempting to do here ...

He is connecting a fan ....

[/sarcasm]
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

A cpu fan right?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

unstopabl3 wrote:
A cpu fan right?

It doesnt matter whether it is a CPU fan [ otherwise known as HSF ] or a system fan, they both get connected to the motherboard [ unless you have cheap fans ].
  • jimiforpres
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jimiforpres

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am connecting a case fan, but I have connected it to the part of the mobo labeled PWR FAN, which would make sense. However, when I turn my power supply on, the light on the mobo turns on indicating that the mobo has power. However, the fan stays still.
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems as if everyone in this topic is confused.

He's installing a case fan which has a 3 pin connection.

It connects to your motherboard. Most newer mobos have 3 or 4 spots where these types of fans can be plugged in; one for the cPU and 2-3 for case fans. However, most case/system fans do not have this type of connection; they just connnect straight to the power supply which is why he is confused.

Does your system boot up? If not, it's not working for some other reason; check to make sure there is not a short.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
However, most case/system fans do not have this type of connection; they just connnect straight to the power supply ...

Most system fans dont have a molex connector ... most system fans [ or the decent ones ] have a three pin connector and come supplied with a 3 pin - molex conection converter.

I am not confused ...

Enigmatic wrote:
Your case fan will join to a connection on your motherboard.

Refer to your motherboard user guide/manual as to where on your mobo this connection is.

Either that or just take a look at your mobo and find a white three pin connection near your case fan, and connect it to that.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an Antec case with four fans and they all use molex. I consider Antec to be a decent company.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
I have an Antec case with four fans and they all use molex. I consider Antec to be a decent company.

Hmmm, then I stand corrected and apologise to X3ndou. All the case fans I have used from Akasa have had the three pin connection and come supplied with a converter.

Either way, my bad, sorry X3ndou.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts