Intel vs AMD best games machine to get?

• dgg9879
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dgg9879

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll probably buy a new pc in 3 months or so. Been reading great reviews of soon to be released Intel core 2 duo cpus. But I also read there's not point buying one because Intel will release quad 4 cpus at the end of this year!

I want a great games machine that will play Elder Scrolls nicely etc but I've heard the main bottleneck these days is the graphics card rather than processor.

But perhaps I might be better just getting an AMD machine since their processors are tried and tested and they will have to reduce their prices when Intel's kick-ass cpu arrives in stores.

Is Intel's newly released cpu likely to have problems that are yet to be ironed out?

Will it make a noticeable difference to game performance over AMD? I know tests show it performs better with higher frame rates but the only thing that counts is what I can notice.

I don't think there is much point waiting til the end of the year to upgrade. There is always something better on the horizon.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• demonmaestro
  • Gold Member
  • Gold Member
  • Loc: Conroe, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

for gamming i sugest a amd with nvidia,
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's still no clear winner.

I go with AMD because they've, historically, been less expensive for equal and sometimes better performance. But Intel has slashed profits in order to gain sales, and thus their prices are far more fair.

While, right now, I'm running AMD in both my desktop and notebook, I'm not a fanboy, and would have no problem going Intel. I think they're both fine. The two (as long as you don't get a Celeron or an Opteron) are right about on par these days - with some super-high-end Intel chips beating out anything AMD currently has to offer (but AMD will catch up soon enough, they're not too far behind, and then the field will be even once again).

When it comes down to gaming, your performance is really judged by your video card, more so than your CPU.

The VERY general rule of thumb is go ATi for image quality, and nVidia for pure performance. But finding reviews for your the specific card you're interested in is simply the best way to go. And don't just look at numbers and benchmarks, try and find screen shots, etc, too. If the ATi card actually does have a slightly slower benchmark, it could be providing a better 3d picture. Benchmarks aren't the sole-factor in decision making. ;)

NuAngel
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

demonmaestro wrote:
for gamming i sugest a amd with nvidia,

fanboy here!
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Either one will work great for gaming, which depends nowdays more on your video card / RAM than your processor.

Personally I would go for AMD
1. Because AMD seems easier to overclock if needed, and 2. Because I used to work at Intel, and AMD seems to reach the gaming community much better than Intel. Although we did have lan games during lunch hours and such =)
  • dgg9879
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dgg9879

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure about the general rule of ATI for image quality and nVidia for pure performance.

Image quality I can understand but what is meant by performance. Able to run games faster?

I'm a bit nervous about ATI because the Saphire video card is an ATI card sold here in Australia that had heaps of problems.

Does either ATI or Nvidia have the edge on compatibility? I've heard Civ IV doesn't like some graphics cards
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

dgg9879 wrote:
Not sure about the general rule of ATI for image quality and nVidia for pure performance.

Image quality I can understand but what is meant by performance. Able to run games faster?

I'm a bit nervous about ATI because the Saphire video card is an ATI card sold here in Australia that had heaps of problems.

Does either ATI or Nvidia have the edge on compatibility? I've heard Civ IV doesn't like some graphics cards

pure performance for nvidia meant that there is a faster gameplay....more frames per second
  • dgg9879
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • dgg9879

Post 3+ Months Ago

How can screenshots tell me which graphics card is best when the graphics card I'm using to view the screenshots is an FX 5200?!
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you don't want to read my garbage and just find basically a straight-dope review, just go to the Hard OCP Forum where a member (not an actual staff member) posted a huge review of a few different video cards.

Screen shots are PRE-RENDERED pictures. Pictures of games that you see on the web were "taken" using THOSE computers, the PARTS being reviewed. Your graphics card only matters IN-GAME, the pictures on the webs were taken with other graphics cards.

It's like watching the Final Fantasy DVD movie on your computer. Your computer isn't actually MAKING the movie - it's just playing it is it was made by other computers. Same thing with screen shots.

See the screen shots lower in this thread to see that your card makes no difference if the pictures were taken on another card.

Find reviews that compare screen shots. They will highlight the differences. Anti-Aliasing, things like that, are what you need to look for. Even when it's disabled, any two cards can show a different image. Which one looks more real... more smooth. If you could see a video of it, which one has less "shimmering" (Moiré) effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing

There's a definition of anti-aliasing, to help. Uhhh... it's hard to find reviews that compare two cards any more - there are too many sponsorships and supporters for there to be an honest review out there - but getting a few pictures from different reviews and comparing them can help.

Here are 3 pics (all taken, I belive, with a GeForce 7950Gx2 on 3 different settings) comparing methods of FSAA. Notice how the chainlink fence becomes easier to see through with each pcture. These are the sorts of things you want to look for between the cards. If one says it's using 4xAA, compare it to the OTHER card's picture using 4xAA.

NuAngel
  • jchemie
  • Born
  • Born
  • jchemie

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I am a php developer and i run a local server for myself. I have an AMD athlon 64 processor with ASUS motherboard. But i am unhappy with the processor performance. The RAM is 1GB. Which processor should i go for in my next PC? AMD or Intel?

Thanks

Jyot
  • psuedofy
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: long island, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

intel
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

use this website http://www.vadim.co.uk/ if you have the money you can buy and customise your own gaming pc with extream power. you can run the processors and ram at faster than they should be run and stop the pc over heating with the cooling systems tht this websit offers. it meens you get more pc for your money. except genrally these pcs are expensive and unless your a serious gamer there isnt really much point in getting one. and the processor type is really up to you. i see them as being pretty similar and doing a similar job. but if i was to pick one for gaming i would use amd any day.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok the answer imho on how to pick your cpu is to set a price you are willing to spend on a CPU and Mainboard, Intel's new Core II Duo is far superior to AMD's current offerings, and dont call me an intel fanboy because im an AMD fanboy i just happen to have gotten the oppertunity to use my buddies system next to mine and we have the same spec with the difference being the cpu and his cpu should be slower. anyways the new Core II Duo cpu is currently ungodly pricey for a decent chip at the current time but AMD is allways a good bet because they have been time tested. i(even as impressed as i am with the Core II Duo) wont buy an intel cpu for a desktop just because ive been using them almost exclusivley for a good 5 years.

as for video cards i cant help you. ive fallen out of the loop recently. i can say that the rule of thumb is nVidea is for games and ATI is for graphic design.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm buying a new computer this month.
I think I'll buy a Packerd Bell iStart 2400 with
- AMD Sempron 5400+
- nVidia GeForce 6150 TurboCache with 384 MB
- 1024 MB of RAM
also 160GB harddisk and Vista.

This computer costs €480 and it has got 19" TFT inclusive.
It's sale in Holland ;) and I think this is a very good offer, also for gaming.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

not with a sempron buddy

worse thing on the market for gaming
  • X3ndou
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New Jersey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would strongly suggest building your own machine instead of getting one that is pre-built, as the price is always going to be higher.

Go to http://www.newegg.com or http://www.tigerdirect.com and find a good processor that is on sale or has a discount. Recently I bought an AMD X2 4200+ for around 100 USD and an ECS nForce4 mobo for around 55 USD. I combined that with 2 sticks of 512mb DDR 800 for around 50 USD and a Sapphire Radeon x1600 for about 100 USD. So, for about 200 USD I ended up with a great gaming machine.

ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820161067
cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819103747
vid: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814103026
mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813135028

Remember that when you want the best technology you will always pay a considerable premium and it will become obsolete in a year or so. I would advise against buying a very expensive machine; just get what you need for the games you play. True gamers don't give a damn if their game runs at 1280x1024 or 800x600 as long as the game is playable. Gameplay over graphics.

Hope this helps.
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not to mention the Graphics card, is that onboard BTW? Cause if it is good luck with gaming, even if it isnt, you're better off just buying a better graphics card. Why? Because its a 6150 is not meant for gaming and its Turbocache (don't know what it means, but I heard its not a good thing no matter how badass it sounds). I would suggest something like a 7600gs or GT or x1650xt, for value and performance.

For me, I found that (if you're a gamer) investing in a good mid-range graphics card will pay in the long run. Im still using my good old x700 pro 128 gddr3, no problems with running any games yet, although slight lag sometimes on bf2 :D Not bad considering only 128mb.
  • XtremeCheater
  • Born
  • Born
  • XtremeCheater
  • Loc: Indonesia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess the ideal specs is the most efficient one you can get with $1200

Like my PC although the price in my country is rather more expensive
Core 2 Duo E6300
2 Gigs Corsair DDR2 800 XMS2-TWINX
1X Geforce 8800 GTS 320 (I think you can get 8800 GTS 640 in US)
Abit FATAL1TY FP-1N9 SLI
250 Gigs WDC
Generic CRT monitor (LCD is very expensive in my country)

With this you can get 8800 score in 3DMark2006 in 1280x1024 8xAA 16xAS

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts