Internal SATA HDD not in My Computer, etc.

• rhenderson19
  • Born
  • Born
  • rhenderson19

Post 3+ Months Ago

Salutations,

The problem that I have is very frustrating. My secondary drive does not show up in My Computer or Disk Management, or Device Manager. The drive is a WD 500GB SATAII model. I have had this drive in service since the latter part of 2008. It does not click or make any weird sounds. However, when I restart the PC, most of the time it will show up and be operational for an undetermined amount of time before it decides to disappear again. The drive is formatted, there is data on it, which is accessible when the drive is available. Whenever I restart and check BIOS, it is there. I have searched the forums and have tried some of the fixes provided for drives not showing up ONLY i My Computer. Also, I have tried TestDisk, in which the drive did not show up (I could have been doing it wrong). My only thought is that I have a hardware issue. If anyone could help me with this, I would be very grateful.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

The fact that you say sometimes its operational and works and then suddenly disappears again for awhile seems like a hardware issue to me. If it was your settings that were at fault, then it would always be gone, it wouldn't come back randomly. A hardware issue could definitely cause that though, and it could be the hard drive, or something else that interfaces with the hard drive. Have you noticed if it happens at certain times more? Such as when the hard drive has been on for awhile and maybe is hot? Any other patterns that you have noticed? Or does it seem completely random?

My suggestion to you would be to buy a new hard drive and transfer the contents of that drive to your new hard drive when it is in one of those operational stages. That way you can see if the new hard drive works and at least have a good backup. It would not be worth it to lose everything on your drive if it were to fail completely.
  • lwwest
  • lwwest

Post 3+ Months Ago

would a dead or near dead CMOS battery cause this issue?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I have seen from CMOS batteries is they simply won't boot and it will usually throw an error right at the beginning of boot up.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Would a live Cd detect the drive clearer then windows for recovery, i used to use live cd's for my data recovery.

As for CMOS that would be more motherboard related issues and when you need a clean boot you start to play with that but as said above by Bigwebby, looks like hard drive is about to die and is on it's death-rack/bed.

try your best to recover data but that drive is dead.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts