PC Internet connection disappeared: Help needed!

• Donna
  • Donna

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope I'm in the appropriate category here.

Situation:
I run a Pentium 4 with WinXP Pro. Three weeks ago I set up a router (Sitecom DC-202 V3) to use as a firewall (not for a network). I have a broadband cable Motorola modem.

Five days ago from one second to the next I totally lost connection to the Internet.
Even after removing the router, I can't get my IP address (which should begin with an '8'), only the '169' number.

I spoke four times with the ISP HelpDesk technician and we tried every imaginable configuration. Zilch. Still no connection. The assumption is that my network card is faulty, although when I check I get the message that that device is working properly.
When I hit my browser, the message along the bottom says 'Proxy settings detected', but then I get the page saying that the page is unavailable.

I can connect to the Internet on my Iaptop, so it's clearly not the modem or cable creating the problem. (Puzzling though is that if try to use the router with the laptop, I can't connect to the Internet.)

Can anyone here make sense of all of this and help me get my PC back online?

Any assistance very much appreciated. Thanks!

Donna
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try connecting to the internet. Go to a command prompt and type:

ipconfig /flushdns

then type

ipconfig /registerdns
  • Donna
  • Donna

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I'll try that. When you say 'Try connecting to the Internet' I presume you simply mean make sure my modem and cable are connected to the PC? Because the point is that at I'm unable to connect to the internet.[/i]
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Correct. Just establish the connection so you can possibly reach your ISP's DNS servers after flushing the cache.
  • Donna
  • Donna

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, I've done that. The message is that registration has been initiated and any errors will be reported in the event viewer in 15 minutes.

I'm counting down now. (-:

I didn't have the router connected, by the way. I've decided not to worry about that device at the moment. I simply want to get my PC back online.

Will keep you posted.
  • Donna
  • Donna

Post 3+ Months Ago

Over half an hour later and no sign of an Event Viewer.

Looks like that step came to nought. But thanks for trying. (-:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm....DON'T take this as assured advice 'cause I'm not sure, but if I was where you are I would go to device manager and delete your NIC. Reboot and let it autodetect and reinstall.

If that doesn't immediately fix the problem, then I would make sure I have network properties for TCP/IP set to obtain an IP automatically. (might want to check that first before trying the delete on the NIC.)

If that didn't work, I would make the assumption the card is potentially bad and replace it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

On second thought. Can you actually connect to your ISP? If so, you NIC is probably OK When I say "connect, I mean are you on dial-up, and if so, do you get an established connection (even though you can't access internet pages?)
  • Donna
  • Donna

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uninstalling the NIC and rebooting (I tried this a few times) made no difference.

Re connecting to my ISP: No, I can't do that either. There's simply no connection at all between my PC and the cable modem.

However, with my laptop I have no problem. Looks like the problem's with the PC, probably the network card. Most puzzling is the sudden ínability to connect.

Well ... back to the drawing board. And thanks again for your input. (-:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts