iomega external hard drive USB no longer found

• lyndaschat
  • lyndaschat
  • Loc: United States

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone happen to know how they get the information off of an external hard drive, specifically an iomega when it is taken to a technician? I'm so annoyed. I have had an iomega external hard drive since July of 2004, but have only used it about 3 times to save stuff in a pinch, thinking that I would get back to it and sort through, save stuff to CD's. Well I took to long I guess and now the darn thing freezes my computer up, rather than being found. I have tried it on a laptop that I have here, plus now have had my neighbor try it on 2 of their computers and it's doing the same thing to theirs. He mentioned taking it to circuit city and they will force the information out. I will do this if I have to, but I am worried that after paying them to do it that they "still" won't get the info out. Does anyone know how they force the info out? or I was thinking that if I opened the case, if I could make it as a second hard drive, connect it directly to my system to get the info.. if it may work then.. All ideas are welcome.
Lynda
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

First a few questions. is that HD connected by a USB cable? If so, have you tried another cable? I would do that first.
Second idea: You could also connect it to a Unix or Linux box and try to mount the drive using the mount command. If it's not the cable causing the freeze, it may not bother the Unix file system.
The other thing would be to contact Iomega. Ask them for a solution. After all, it's their drive. They should know.
  • lyndaschat
  • lyndaschat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Iomega doesn't tell me any more than I already know and find on the internet. They want $25 to help me over the phone, but with what I've been told already, it doesn't sound like a sure thing. If they were more sure about it all, I would pay it. I was aleady run over (trying to be polite here) by Norton and lost money with thier supposed help. They did nothing more than I had already done and the problem was not resolved.
I know nothing about unix or Linux, but did find that by taking the hard drive out of the original cradle/case, that at least now my computer finds the hard drive & doesn't take forever. The only problem is that I still can't read anything, from a 120 GB capacity it is down to 115 capacity, which was what I had left originally. but it shows as RAW. I was turned onto downloading Hiren's Boot CD ver 8.3 and trying to find out exactly which site is the original. I don't need any more problems.
Circuit city had said over the phone $59 to get my info off the hd for me, but from that, it turned into $188. I guess cause they couldn't do it easily at the pc. I guess iomega doesn't want me money because I used to swear by them and would have always bought their hardware. Not anymore, not after this when I've only used it a few times and it dies.
I'm going to try and find hirens boot cd now.. although I don't know what I'm to do with it...
Linda
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, no one dislikes Norton more than I do. I've already been banned from a forum for knocking them, so you don't have to be polite when it comes to that.
Secondly, you're correct about not paying Iomega or Circuit City. If you were in NY, maybe I could help you better. I know a real honest guy who helps me with data recovery when I can't do it myself.
The boot disk won't help you because that drive is not a bootable drive. You're bootable drive works already.
It sounds like the file system is corrupt on the external HD. That why your Windows machine can't read it. Connecting the drive to a Unix box is about the last shot as far as data recovery at home goes.
  • lyndaschat
  • lyndaschat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well.. can your friend do this online with a unix then? Like I said, I truely don't have a problem paying someone, I just am tired of people not living up to what they say they can do, then keeping the money anyway. Thanks for the tip on the hirens, I guess they just thought that via the utilities, I could do something.
Let me know about your friend, if he could do it online and if he does, what he would charge me, when he could... I'm in NJ
I don't know of someone with a unix around here...
Linda
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately, online is not an option for data recovery. I understand completely about contractors not keeping promises. I do various jobs for people from sewers to computers and I'm always straight with the customers. All negotiation must be done ahead of time. That way no one can be cheated.
Let's get back to your problem. Now that you see the drive, what do the file names look like? Are they anything close to what they are supposed to be? Have you tried to copy one of them back to the C drive? If you open a command prompt and type in the drive: press enter and run dir
does it list the files and folders.
Let's say it's the F: drive. Open a command prompt by clicking start, run, type in cmd and press enter
Then type F: press enter, type dir/p and press enter again. Tell me what you see. You can also try
copy file_name c:\ and press enter to copy it to the C: drive and open it there.
  • lyndaschat
  • lyndaschat

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are no file names.. USB is found right away.. It shows that the "k" drive is there, now that I am using the Mad Dog cradle. It shows that is it RAW and a few times now it's said that it wanted to format it, but I choose no of course. It is a 120 GB capacity, which showed before this happened that it had that capacity with 115 GB left to use. Now it is showing 115 capacity and to use..
I couldn't just type K at the dos command. Is there somewhere to send a screen shot, if needed?
I've copied and pasted what I get at the command promt below:
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Linda>K
'K' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Linda>K:\dir/p
The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the v
olume is not corrupted.

C:\Documents and Settings\Linda>
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, that's what I thought. The file system is corrupted. I don't need a screen shot.
Search google for file system raw
There is plenty to read about recovery. One site offers a tool.
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm
I have no idea if it is good or not. Read a bunch of the sites before you try anything.
  • lyndaschat
  • lyndaschat

Post 3+ Months Ago

At the disk managment screen, it shows it as healthy active 115 GB
  • lyndaschat
  • lyndaschat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, thanks.. I was thinking about a site that I saw with software for Raw corrupted..
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok. Take your time. Don't rush.
  • lyndaschat
  • lyndaschat

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I tried to get through to http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm
the second time, I couldn't. Instead I found this DGI site and called their tech support first to see about that. They had a program for 19.99, but there was a better one for 99.00, you can download the Demo first, which I ran from their site. After a few hours of it going through everything that it does, I called tech support back as she said that being as their were no files to the right showing, that the only thing left was for the guys with white gloves to do it. :-( But at least it was something to try and now I guess I have to give it up and try to figure out what it all was that I had on there, to get the programs back that I had paid for and downloaded previously, all my school notes, pictures, tutorials, data saved gone. A lesson to be learned.. save to the CD's, asap. Scrap the external hard drives for me! She did mention also that sometimes the cases make the externals get to hot and that's when the damage occurs.
Thanks for all of your help, Linda
  • lyndaschat
  • lyndaschat

Post 3+ Months Ago

By the way.. just so I'm not missunderstood... I was not charged the $99., I would guess that if it found the files, that then she would have had me buy the program to proceed, so at least she didn't lie to me or anything like this. I would call them trustworthy to buy from.

Linda
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I understand what you're saying about the external drive. I've been lucky with mine. At the same time, my stuff if backed up on 2 other drives. The lesson isn't which one to pick, a drive or a CD. The lesson is to use more than one, whatever they are.
I guess you could ship the drive to the guys I know and they will look at it for a small fee. You won't have to pay any more if it's not doable.
  • lyndaschat
  • lyndaschat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, well who would you ship yours to that you trust then? I've been thinking and thinking about doing it anyway, but can't afford astronimcal amounts or to get screwed. If you know of someone that I can trust, by all means leave me the number, address, etc..It may be 120 GB hard drive, but it's only about 5 GB of info on it.. do they go by that, as to how much they charge?
Thanks, Linda
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Call CRC Computers at 516 409 6722 after 10AM
They will tell you what they charge to evaluate the drive. I don't think it's much more than $25.
  • lyndaschat
  • lyndaschat

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is that in NY? and is $25 only to evaluate? Then how much if it's doable though. "about". I guess I can try to look up CRC on the net also..
Thanks, I'll give it a try, Linda
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.crc2k.com/
The price depends on how much data they recover.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts