2 ips, 1 modem

• sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, well my service provider offers 2 ip address, and I want to take advantage over that. Well right now I have 1 cable, and a router that splits it into my 2 computer connections.

I was wondering how I can set it up so each computer has its own ip address.
I contacted my isp provider and I told them to activate my 2nd ip and it has been done already. However, right now I don't know what to do in my part to use this 2nd ip.

Please help!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ozzyosb100
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Usually ISPs charge extra for another IP. If you have a router this is not necessary. You can have the router assign internal IPs to your network while the Modem uses 1 IP for all the computers connected to the internet. You would just connect the modem to the router to the WAN port and your two computer to ports 1 and 2, set the router to assign IPS to the network using DHCP and set each computer's network connection to automatically obtain address. you may have to input DNS adresses yourself though, those can usually be found by doing an ipconfig/all on a computer connected directly to the modem or in the routers internal utilites. let me know if you need moer info
  • sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, my Isp offers 2 ip that is why I want to take advantage of that. One thing to make sure first, does having 2 ip rather than 1 ip have it's advantages? I know how it works behind the router thing, but I was just wanting to take full advatnage of the beneifits my ISP offers me.
If so, how can I setup both ip?
  • ozzyosb100
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

having 2 ips doesnt really change anything. you would use it only if you specifically needed it for something, like maybe hosting a website from your home or something like that. To set up each computer with its own IP i think you would still leave it in DHCP and the ISP should recognize that you are authorized to receive 2 IPs and it would assign them to the computers, you wouldnt even need a router then, a simple hub would do since there is no need for any additional addressing that way.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The router will only get one IP. The router will then give out local IP's based on its DHCP configuration.

But ozzyosb100 is correct in stating that the second IP will only come in handy if you have a purpose for it like hosting your own website.
  • sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, thanks a lot guys. I just htought that it woul dhave it's advantages if I got 2 ip running in one modem since my ISP does provide me with 2 ips.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts