Jump Drive or Pen Drive

• Mav06
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mav06

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a jump drive or pen drive and is a 256mb and when i plug it inot a computer it thinks it a removable drive and askes me to insert a disk when ever i try to open it. its a sony one and i have tried it on many computers. any help please.

Thanks for advice in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

it probably wants you to install drivers so that it can recognize the jump/pen drive. did the jump/pen drive come with a disk? if so, insert it as this point.
also, it is normal for the computer to recognize it as a "removable drive"
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

4ss_munk3y wrote:
it probably wants you to install drivers so that it can recognize the jump/pen drive. did the jump/pen drive come with a disk? if so, insert it as this point.
also, it is normal for the computer to recognize it as a "removable drive"

I have a usb flash device and mine gets reconized as a removable storage device so I wouldn't worry about that.

4ss_munk3y is probably correct about wanting drivers for the device, try the Sony website for the drivers.

Mine came with a program for it already installed on the device itself [ Kingston DataTraveler ], if you keep the drivers on the device, means if you ever go to a PC that doesnt have the right drivers, you can simply install them then and there, no fuss.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it wants to install some sort of glorified driver, just format it. It will then be recognized as a generic removeable disk, and no drivers will ever be needed on any computer you plug it in to (excepy maybe 95/98.) Had this same problem recently. The pen drive was preloaded with some special apps if wanted to install. If you format it right away, you start from a clean slate.
  • Mav06
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mav06

Post 3+ Months Ago

it won't let me format it and i can't find any sony drivers for it only 95/98 so i do not know what to do.it is a USM356E. thanks
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go into My computer, right click on the "removeable drive" and choose "format," you don't have to be able to open it to format it.

Have you tried it on another computer?
  • Mav06
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mav06

Post 3+ Months Ago

i understand that you do not have to open it i already tried opening it like you said and yes i have tried it on another computer. i just do not know what to do
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

How old is this jumpdrive? Was it on your or someone else's keychain? I have seen a few of these just go bad kinda like floppy disks. You may have to consider this as a possibility.
  • Mav06
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mav06

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just got it last christmas and it has not been on a keychain ever only in my pocket sometimes. it worked fine just up untill this i do not know. i hope its not bad kinda cheap if it is.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts