Just installed Zalman CPU HSF, not too impressed atm.

• PenTaGon
  • Student
  • Student
  • PenTaGon
  • Loc: FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just installed the Zalman CNPS7700 ( http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=145&code= )

It came with a "fanmate" which basically allows you to adjust the speed of the fan, I could tell no difference with adjusting it so I just removed it. Upon removing it the "Fan1" RPM in SpeedFan went from about 950rpm tp 1800rpm. Looks like the fanmate was doing more harm then good.

Here is a shot of my current temps with SpeedFan:

My Previous temperatures at the same cpu usage were:

Temp1: 49-51°C
Temp2: 44°C
Temp3: 43°C
Local Temp: 51°C
Remote Temp: 59°C
HD0: 32°C
HD1: 31°C
Temp1: 40°C

So being generous it's about a 5°C drop, I was really hoping for at least 10°C. I made sure I installed it correctly to the best of my ability. I made sure there was a thin layer of thermal paste over the cpu and everything else seems to look fine. I'm wondering if the zalman fan is spinning fast enough, it's only at about 1800rpm while the others are closer to 2500rpm. I do realize the zalman fan is much larger, so that could be the issue. It does not sound nearly as loud as some people have said, but I already have 4 extra fans, not counting the cpu, gpu, or psu, so maybe it just gets drowned out.. Does anyone have a clue as to what may be the problem? If I remember correctly this cpu's temp limit is 70°c and I sure don't want to go over the limit.

My current specs:

Windows XP Pro SP2
DFI Lanparty UT nf3 250gb Socket 754
AMD 64 Athlon 3400+ New Castle (2.41 ghz)
2x 512mb OCZ Platinum DDRAM (DC)
1x 1024mb OCZ Platinum DDRAM (SC)
eVGA 6800gt 256mb
1x WD HDD 7200rpm 80 gb
1x WD HDD 7200rpm 200 gb

Thanks in advance for any help I may receive.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see no problem with the temperatures listed above for idle temps. Can you get a screenshot of the temps after the proc has been at or near full load for a while? Maybe load up a couple games at once.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts