Keyboard question,

• ManicalIdiot
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • ManicalIdiot
  • Loc: Virginia

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is probably a opinion question but what is better for a keyboard connection, USB or PS/2? I don't really trust that USB will stay in it's slot as much as I trust PS/2 but it seems most keyboards are designed for USB, does the USB port make them any more responsive than a PS/2 port?
  • taguy83
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • taguy83
  • Loc: Michigan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Being an IT Technician, I deal with these things everyday. I see no difference between the two at all. The only nice thing about USB is that if if does become disconnected usually all you have to do is plug it back in and it works. With PS/2, you have to restart the computer. Which is not cool if you were in the middle of something.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

taguy83 wrote:
Being an IT Technician, I deal with these things everyday. I see no difference between the two at all. The only nice thing about USB is that if if does become disconnected usually all you have to do is plug it back in and it works. With PS/2, you have to restart the computer. Which is not cool if you were in the middle of something.

Not always, I regularly swap my PS/2 keyboard from one PC to another without requiring any restart. This only works as long as the mouse and keyboard are connected via the PS/2 port during the boot process.

There is no signigicant difference in the time taken between pressing a key and the character appearing on the screen, it's mainly just that PS/2 is becoming "old" and people are moving towards USB.
  • taguy83
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • taguy83

Post 3+ Months Ago

All i can say is that from what i have been through It still freezes 90% of the time. I did it yesterday actually, had a ps/2 keyboard and mouse on a computer, i booted it up, then i changed the keyboard i was using, and the new ps/2 keyboard i plugged into it, would not work until i restarted. same thing with the mouse, i have done it 1000 times.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

That depends on whether the keyboard has a plug n play driver or not. In most of the cases USB keyboards are plug n play devices and PS/2 are not.

If thats PnP you can unplug and replug to be instantly detected by the bios otherwise not irrespective of USB or PS/2.
  • taguy83
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • taguy83

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, thats good info. I know i have never come across a PnP PS/2 keyboard or mouse yet, it would be nice to have some though :)
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

taguy83 wrote:
Yeah, thats good info. I know i have never come across a PnP PS/2 keyboard or mouse yet, it would be nice to have some though :)

Well mine quiet happily plugs and unplugs without any problems and mine are both PS/2 connections.

As I said though, it only works if I have had the peripherals connected during the boot process, otherwise it hangs.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigmatic wrote:
Well mine quiet happily plugs and unplugs without any problems and mine are both PS/2 connections.

same here and my personal preferance is PS/2 because i need all the usb ports i can get my grubby little paws on :)
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

PS/2 for sure. I don't know how many times people call me up with simple problems that can't be resolved becuase they have a USB keyboard. Half of the time they wont work until you actually get into the OS, so going into the BIOS, pressing F8, recovery console, etc won't work until I bring them over a real keyboard.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts