LAN problems.

• ShadowSkills
  • ShadowSkills

Post 3+ Months Ago

:evil: I really need some help with my TCP/IP. In other words... My LAN!!! I'm at a friends house, trying to connect to his router. I've tried numerous cables, and have switched my domain on and off of his. I've tried messing around with all of my settings for my on-board LAN (3com) and still nothing has worked. And this all started happening after I took down AOL. I've diabled the "WAN miniport (ATW)" drivers or something like that... But still, it doesn't work. Any ideas/suggestions/answers???
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

what router is it?

If it's linksys try pinging 192.168.1.1, if you can do that, try and log on just put the same IP address in IE and on the front page (first page to come up) of the router web configuration (BTW, the default username and password is admin///admin) just go to the bottom and press the "apply" button (you shouldn't ahve to change anything) and then maybe restart your computer and try going on the net again.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

How is the computer getting the IP address? Is it obtaining one from the dhcp server in the router. IF so make sure that they are all doing the same either obtaining or staticly configured. Do you have a even see the other computers/internet connection. BTW: give a little more info about the problem and the environment.
  • ShadowSkills
  • ShadowSkills

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks dude's, i'll try that and get back to ya.
  • ShadowSkills
  • ShadowSkills

Post 3+ Months Ago

eh, it won't even get a signal from the router. I have an on-board 3com gigabit LOM 3c940 for a lan card... Any idea's from that?
  • ShadowSkills
  • ShadowSkills

Post 3+ Months Ago

And what should my advanced setup look like for it? I think I did i all right... And I have fairly new drivers.. This is just the first time it hasn't worked, and it was right after I uninstalled AOL.
  • ShadowSkills
  • ShadowSkills

Post 3+ Months Ago

There all obtaining IP's automatically, is that right?
  • ShadowSkills
  • ShadowSkills

Post 3+ Months Ago

Update: I can't see anyone else on the network, just myself. I'm running Window's 2000 pro, with a 2.6 ghz intel P4 overclocked to 2.89, a 64 mb nvidia MX400, P4P800 Asus mother board, 512 mbs ddr400... A pretty high-end system.

When I un-installed AOL, there was a driver under my network adapters in my device manager. The driver was called "WAN miniport adapter (ATW)" or something of the sort. And I remember having troubles with my LAN before, but when I installed AOL it was fine again. Could that be the problem? And if so, how can I get it back to fix it?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Wan miniport adapter gives me a clue you are probably using a laptop? Can you ping any of the other computers on the network?
  • SKATER
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

ShadowSkills wrote:
Update: I can't see anyone else on the network, just myself. I'm running Window's 2000 pro, with a 2.6 ghz intel P4 overclocked to 2.89, a 64 mb nvidia MX400, P4P800 Asus mother board, 512 mbs ddr400... A pretty high-end system.

When I un-installed AOL, there was a driver under my network adapters in my device manager. The driver was called "WAN miniport adapter (ATW)" or something of the sort. And I remember having troubles with my LAN before, but when I installed AOL it was fine again. Could that be the problem? And if so, how can I get it back to fix it?

the WAN miniport applies only to AO(hel)L. you may need to uninstall the NIC drivers and reinstall them to get everything working. other option is to reboot the other computers and yours. also, in order to see the other computers they must have file sharing turned on.
  • ShadowSkills
  • ShadowSkills

Post 3+ Months Ago

I 'm not on a laptop... But the NIC drivers might work out, or I could use the linksys drivers that come with the router to fix the problem... They might also re-config the TCP/IP to my needs. I'm getting DSL soon, so I'm stressing all my options in trying to get it fixed. Thanks for listening guys.
  • cradle
  • cradle
  • Loc: Kenya

Post 3+ Months Ago

you said that your nic is on board. first of all check if the nic has the proper driver s installed this could be one of the problems, then check your cable. Once all that is done check if your tcp/ip is configured with that of the lan u're using. may be u should shade more light on info about ur lan
  • Freakency
  • Born
  • Born
  • Freakency

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm managing a w2K network and I have updated my machines. I changed for Asus P4P800-Deluxe with the onboard Gb LAN and Windows XP pro on 2K servers. I've got so much troubles with this. All my new machines would not connect to one of my 2 switchs. I try many things during 3 day and I finally find out that was the NIC problem. I've buy a 3com 10/100 905TX, disabled the onboard one, installed the new one and that solved my problem immediatly.
  • zige
  • Born
  • Born
  • zige

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello im new and i jus reigistered my internet workz fine and fast...but i want to know why doesnt it send packetz and receivez soooooooo much ov them

thank you

zige
  • kurt69
  • Born
  • Born
  • kurt69
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also if you can't ping the other computers, make sure you have no firewall.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts