laptop acer charging problem

• vaijones2002
  • Born
  • Born
  • vaijones2002

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, first post whats up y'all?

Can anyone help...

I have and Acer Travelmate 2702WLMi laptop.

Recently having problems charging up. When booting up the laptop refuses to draw power from the mains, so I can only ever use it on battery power. This is most annoying since it is a P4 type machine and battery life is not good.

When powered down, the charging only works intermittently. Ie the charge light comes on but then randomly blinks on and then off etc. The result is that it takes forever to charge. No matter how much I wiggle the cable it just won't continuously charge!

Help appreciated!

Chris vaijones2002@yahoo.co.uk
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

this may be a problem with the mobo and you should get it serviced

ps: keep up the wiggles lol
  • sandman6471
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sandman6471
  • Loc: In My Dreams

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds like a power cord problem to me......... Be careful and not get :shock:

Just my opinion.........

Good Luck
  • Dangles
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Dangles
  • Loc: Brooklyn Transplanted into NJ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree, that it sounds like a power cord problem. you may want to try and go and buy a travel charger. Usually these have adaptors to fit a wide range of laptops. Just check the package before you buy it and see if your laptop is listed. Alternately you can try to buy a new charger from Acer if you can.

Hope this helps
  • Mia
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mia
  • Loc: Scarborough / Hemel Hempstead

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having the same problems with my laptop (An ACER TravelMate 2200) But, rather than a power cord issue, it seems to be a common problem associated with overheating.

One of my fans stopped working, and the problem started when that happened - as such, I have to send it in for repair, but it's having time to do that - ACER aren't the most reliable when it comes to customer service, and I need my laptop! :?

If your laptop os getting really hot, I would say that that would be the issue - and to get it in asap or the problems just start getting worse and worse. Good luck!

~ Mia
  • kuun
  • Born
  • Born
  • kuun

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought that I should just add my own experienses as well, in case somebody else would happen to come upon this site in search of help for TM 2200 help.

Exactly like Mia, I also have an Acer Travelmate 2200. I had very weird problems with the battery charging only now and then, without me being able to find a pattern to it.

After reading this page (google is your friend!), I considered overheating but it seemed unlikely since the battery was actually not charging even when the laptop was off, and had been for some time. (then, of course, nothing was too hot.)

Anyways, eventually it did turn out to be overheating anyway. By opening the larger of the hatches under the laptop and removing the (cpu) heatsinks, I could see that they were all clogged up with dust. It was a simple matter of removing the dust, and since then it's worked much better. (the first couple of days there were some small problems, but nowadays there are no problems)

I still can't understand how clogged-up heatsinks can affect the battery charging, especially when the computer is off. It works, though.
  • NuAngel
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Erie, PA, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the info, Kuun. I have a TM4400, so I might have to look out for this problem in a few months myself! :)

Nu
  • Staindfaith
  • Born
  • Born
  • Staindfaith

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, so, I'm having a problem with my Acer 2200 Travelmate, and I think mine's worse than all of yours so far. I recently bought my laptop back from a friend (it was repossessed and he bought it), and when I plugged the power adaptor it, it refused to charge, so I fiddled around with the power cabdle a bit, ducttaped the hell out of the adaptor (on the box shaped part, not where it conencts to the computer) and plugged it in. It started charging, and I watched in horror as a large amount of smoke quickly issued from the vents. Now, I figured it might just be a problem with the adaptor (I partially disassembled the laptop and there appeared to be no issues), but when I came home, I plugged in another adaptor, and after a moment it became obvious that this was not the case. So now, I'm sitting on another laptop (my step-father's) and typing out my little story. My plan i simple, take the laptop into the tech store, yell at the people for a few hours, walk outside, have a cigarette, walk back in, yell at them some more, then demand that they fix it. This could be a slight issue, considering that I have no money, so it'll be a bit of a ''dine and dash'' of sorts.
That's my story, to be updated when I figure something out.
Ciao (email me at youknowyouwaaantme@hotmail.com if you have any thoughts)
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You were supposed to take it to the shop before you set it on fire with the duct tape. Duct tape doesn't fix everything nor does WD40.
  • ojw3381
  • Born
  • Born
  • ojw3381
  • Loc: Scottish Borders

Post 3+ Months Ago

i purchased an Acer travelmate 2200 1 1/2 years ago and it was PURFECT up until the guarenty ended, that's when all the problems started.
The DVD-RW drive stopped burning to Disc and barely plays any dvds, and the battery does stay in, it falls out everytime it's not held in, and when i plug it in it just flashes until i power the laptop on when the charging stops! and on the odd occasion when it keeps charging it stops using AC supply at 80%..

Can somebody please describe the problem and tell me what i can do.

Thanks You[/b]
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds like you have a few problems. Check the device manager for the DVD problem. Are there any yellow or red marks there?
Look closely at the battery to see why it's loose. Did you drop the machine or bang it?
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Staindfaith wrote:
My plan i simple, take the laptop into the tech store, yell at the people for a few hours, walk outside, have a cigarette, walk back in, yell at them some more, then demand that they fix it.
I hope that you're joking...being in the service industry doesn't require that techs stand there and take verbal abuse from fools who attempt to "fix" their own laptops. Anyone talks to me like that, they get an earful and a suggestion that they fornicate with a goat.

Staindfaith wrote:
This could be a slight issue, considering that I have no money, so it'll be a bit of a ''dine and dash'' of sorts.
Ok, now I really hope that you're as full of crap as a Christmas turkey, since what you're referring to is a criminal act :lol:
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would just say that all of your problems are connected: You bought an Acer. That's the #1 problem.

But you should actually check the connector on the laptop that takes the power cord. The connecters could be bent, clogged, whatever and it might not be getting a good clean connection.

As for temperatures. Batteries are less efficient charging at higher temps. But a battery holds less capacity at lower temps. A battery that holds 100Wh 30C will only hold like 50Wh at -10C (the actual conversion is different, but I am too lazy to look it up). But the resistance is lower at the lower temperature. Its actually more complicated, but there is a "sweet spot" concerning temperature. I would say around 15C would be optimal temperature for a Lithium Ion battery pack. Just don't go too cold, electrons stop moving at absolute zero. ;-)

As for the criminal act, just make sure you have a knife or gun in plain sight so they lock you up for life of give you the needle when you get arrested. Armed robbery now has SWAT on the initial call. ;-)
  • ojw3381
  • Born
  • Born
  • ojw3381
  • Loc: Scottish Borders

Post 3+ Months Ago

i spoke to Lothian computers they are my local engineers and they said only acer can fix it
  • Spaced Monkey
  • Born
  • Born
  • Spaced Monkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seam that there is a common problem with this. I also have an Acer 2200 Travelmate, Charges batt. very slowly if at all, I also get charging light flickering. but will not opperate computer. I have just got hold of a new power pack as I belived this was the problem but it hasn't helped. I have stripped the bloody thing to clean motherboard, Cooling fins etc and all of this made no difference, could it be a battery problem, this was going to be my next step.
Any advice would be great cheers spaced monkey.
  • stevenmartin1984
  • Born
  • Born
  • stevenmartin1984

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Spaced Monkey. I am just posting a comment to see if you have sorted your charger problems. I have an ACER Travelmate 4100. I have the same problems. One day it seamed as if the charger was a bit loose. Check it and it was in tight. I wiggled it and wiggled it. The screen kept flickering on and off. I have even purchased a new charger and the problems is still there.
The charger does also seem to be getting very hot. Sometimes the battery will charge. Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated.

Regards
Steven
  • Davis!
  • Born
  • Born
  • Davis!
  • Loc: Kentucky

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a acer laptop and i would say the best thing for you is to get a new cord
or a new battery.
  • Spaced Monkey
  • Born
  • Born
  • Spaced Monkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have found that the solder connection on the DC adaptor teminal on the mother board had cracked and come lose, hence the itermitent charging, re soldered this and hay presto no problems charging! still problems running of mains power though. Hope this helps
  • polar69
  • Born
  • Born
  • polar69

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi I also have an acer travelmate, last week my son realised it was only running on the battery, I suspect after reading these posts that my power socket may need a quick looking at.

I tried to remove the bottom but can't see anyway of getting to it. Any hints or tips would be appreciated, should I go in from the top ?

Thanks in advance
  • Spaced Monkey
  • Born
  • Born
  • Spaced Monkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am afraid so. through the top is the only way, remove the cover below the screen, keyboard, cover (note the touch pad ribbon cable, can be a real pain the the A*# to reconnect, then keep taking out screws and removing covers untill you can get access to the power connection (There is always one screw you can't find!)
Good luck Hope this helps.

p.s I did remove the processor while soldering due to the close proximity, i'm sure it would be fine but better safe than sorry!
  • rpierce
  • Born
  • Born
  • rpierce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problems with my Acer Travelmate 4200. The charging was intermitent, cutting in and out. Sometimes, on boot up, there was an error message saying the AC Adaptor was not an Acer one (which was not true). I tried everything. Borrowed another Acer Power adaptor, and bought a new Acer battery.

The selution: I opened up the laptop, by following a service manual, and discovered that there was a bad solder connection on the power connector. I re-soldered the connector center post to the mother-board. My problems are gone!

It seems that this solder connection was poor, out of the factory. All the "ground" solder joins (4 of them) for the power connector were good. But the center "positive" connection was very poor.

Hope this helps.
  • Joshuamonkey
  • Born
  • Born
  • Joshuamonkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've had a charging problem with my Acer Aspire One for more than a few months. They (I think Micromedics) gave me a new adapter, which worked a little better but still has problems. Since both adapters have problems since this started, my guess is that it's a problem with the inside part of the laptop that the cord connects to, not the cord itself. How to fix this? I don't know, but finding a good position with weight behind it works for now.
The blinking light probably means that you had charge for a split second, so it means you're close, but not in a charging position. I wouldn't recommend leaving it blinking and expect it to charge, though I guess if it blinks forever it must have some sort of charge. Also, it takes a second or two for the light to come on, so you have to wait after every movement of the cord, if you don't have any power to begin with. If you do, you can turn on the computer and know that you have charge by when the screen becomes brighter.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts