• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Compaq Evo N600c
P3-M 1.066 Ghz, 512 Mb RAM, 60 Gb HDD
Windows XP Pro Sp2

Some times system will not power up until battery is removed and replaced and system will not function on battery power. If the system is running and you remove the AC Adapter plug the system will power-off immediately.

On-Battery charge sensor indicated full-charge & system recognizes the battery and puts charge level at 94%. I think the battery is good, but it might be something else.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had this problem myself once. Evidently, some of the batterys can get their charging system stuck, kind of like your float getting stuck in your gas tank. It may say you have a full tank, when it is actually empty.

What I ended up doing is taking a 12v lightbulb I had laying around, tooking it up to the leads of the laptop battery, and just letting it drain all the way dead. I put it back in the laptop, let it charge back to 100% and it works fine.

Your mileage may vary...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saw a "Battery Calibration" in the BIOS. It charges the battery to 100%, then discharges the battery and then recharges it again. But for the 10+ minutes it sat it didn't go a hair above 94%. I'll let it sit all night like that on the BIOS battery calibration and see if it works.
  • b22
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • b22
  • Loc: Tanzania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry but how did the problem start? i had kind of the same problem with my compaq laptop. but i upgraded the bios and all worked well. just try to get the bios upgrade first. read the realse notes first.

i wish you all the best.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, it started where I tried to start the computer when I got to work and it did nothing. Okay, so I removed the battery and snapped it back in because maybe it was loose. Computer booted right up, but if you try to unplug it, it shuts off.

I tried running the battery calibration last night, it started at 95% this time but sat like that for 12+ hours. With the battery LED on the front going on and off amber at a 20 second interval.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts