Laptop to cell phone internet connection ?

• jeannepo
  • Student
  • Student
  • jeannepo
  • Loc: Denver

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone have any recent experience hitting the internet, via a laptop connected to a cell phone. If so, can you elaborate on hardware/software I should be researching? And the quality of this technology? All I could find is old dated information... I'm looking to do this in the very near future. Tx.

~jp
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've done it both by Infra-Red (flakey as if you touch the phone you often break the connection) and Blue-Tooth. If your phone/laptop has Blue-Tooth then thats the way to go. Otherwise try and buy the correct phone to serial connection (check your laptop has a serial port, lots don't these days).

On the phone I didn't need anything on mine (Nokia 6310i) it just worked. Slow as hell though and very expensive. I only use it for emergencies. I think the new generation of phones have a pay per MB type of connection which would probably be better, but still in my opinion its something you only use when you need to get mail from the train etc. Landline / broadband is much better.

S
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have used IRDA to to connect to the internet. It is slow. IRDA transfers from 2400 Kb/s to about 115 Kb/s. The new version of IRDA is 2.0 and will transfer at an upwards of 4 Mb/s. This was just to inform you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts