Laptop Cooling Pads

• KingOfChaos
  • KingOfChaos

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do these work in keeping your laptop cool? I noticed mine stays cool until I actually try to use it on my lap, after which you could fry an egg on the expansion port on the left side it's so hot. Just wondering if anyone here has ever used one and what the results were.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A friend of mine at work used one that even still allowed the computer to be docked on the docking station.

It was an HP NC6220 laptop. Honestly, they didn't get that hot. It was a very simple machine (Pentium M 740, 1GB). Lap usage wasn't really a problem, but the battery life was in the toilet so I never used it at great lengths on my lap.

Anyway, he uses some cooling pad from Belkin or Logitech or something and he loves it. As for does it really offer any benefit... hey, you can't over-cool a PC*, especially with ambient air. So it doesn't hurt.

As for the ones that can operate while the machine is on your lap, as for sucking up battery power (if it has a fan) it allows air to reach the underside of the machine while on a plush surface and will at least offer some insulation to the heat of the machine to avoid personal discomfort.

*note: Many components of a PC have varying thermal extremum. To be safe, it is not advisable to operationally cool or operate an entire PC in temperatures below 8 degrees centigrade.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your expansion port gets as hot as you say it does, you might consider getting one of these pads.

I recently bought one myself, and the bottom of my laptop doesn't get nearly as hot as it used to. That alone gives me some peace of mind that overheating will never be a problem, though to be honest I'm not sure if it ever would have been a problem in the first place. I'm just in the better safe than sorry camp, that's all.

Hope this helps.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts