Is my laptop crazy?

• fred_nyenza
  • Loc: DSM

Post 3+ Months Ago

Mytoshiba laptop cannot detect its hdd.

I hav a problem with my laptop, three weeks ago my laptop was facing power problem where the inlet power connector (from power adapter) was having dry joint in a circuit body so i sorted this by taking out the laotop circuit boad from covers and by using solderling gun to solder the dry joint. When i fnished to solder i connected each part on its place but if i turn on the laptop it doesnt detect the hard disk ending up with message no operating system, i tried to take the hdd drive to another computer there hdd was detected and also i tried to connect hhd from other computer to this laptop at that time it was detected but when i return its hdd totally it does not detect the presence of this hdd in the system.

This is the second time it happen when i oppened for the first time it rejected to recognise its hdd then i decided to by new hdd and relaced the old one.

Please am looking for help to know wht to do so that it can recognise its without replacing with new one.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did the BIOS lose it's settings? Reset it to the default settings and/or set it to auto detect.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Indeed. Try resetting the BIOS.
  • fred_nyenza

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Did the BIOS lose it's settings? Reset it to the default settings and/or set it to auto detect.

Merlyn wrote:
Indeed. Try resetting the BIOS.

Yes, i did several times without success, if is the case of BIOS why it can detect other hdd of the some size (40gb)and of the some manuacture (toshiba harddrive) when it is connected to this laptop exept its hdd i mean the old one.

And the other issue is i tried even to connect the hdd externally using usb cable but i didnt found with this toshiba lapton no option to conigure to boot from external drive.

Till now problem is not solved more suggestion and help please.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are going to use a USB extrernal HD enclosure, you have to to connect it to another PC. The idea of the enclosure is that you can work on the drive without booting it.

Go back into the BIOS and make sure the HD detection is set to auto, just in case auto wasn't the default.
  • fred_nyenza

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
Go back into the BIOS and make sure the HD detection is set to auto, just in case auto wasn't the default.

Thanks Don2007 for your advice.
In BIOS settings the HD detection is set to auto, that's why when i connect another HD is going to be detect except the old one.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only other thing I can suggest is to enter the HD settings manually. Sometimes, instead of auto, you can enter the cylinders, heads and sectors by hand.
  • fred_nyenza

Post 3+ Months Ago

My laptop has Phoenix BIOS version 1.80.
Since HD is not detected in bios setup utility it does not allow me to approach HD setting it just skip that area or option where i can specifies by entering HD parameter and it is accesible only when HD is detected i observed this after i connected other HD.

But why is to be entered manualy on this HD only while when i connect other HD no need to do so, this is a question am asking my self and is the second HD on the some pbroblem scenarial.

Before i submited this problem to ozzu i was thinking that after oppening (diassamble) the entire system there is a switch or jumper that has to be switched or reset to clear the problem but i dont know where it is. Any way.

please your help please.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a CMOS battery that is sometimes removed in order to reset the BIOS. You could try doing that or you could put in the HD that is seen but enter the settings of the one you want to use. Swap the drives again and see what happens.
  • fred_nyenza

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
There is a CMOS battery that is sometimes removed in order to reset the BIOS. You could try doing that or you could put in the HD that is seen but enter the settings of the one you want to use. Swap the drives again and see what happens.

I went through your suggestion, i changed the HD then i entered the HD parameters of the old HD but still it doesnt work.

Is this issue does not relates with upgrading the bios to solve the problem my be it will help what do you say on this Don2007.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's hard to say what to do at this point. The only 2 things left to do are a BIOS upgrade, if it's available or removing the battery. I would probably try the upgrade first.

Edit: I just thought of something else. Instead of setting it as the master, try cable select. Move the jumper to cable select and set the BIOS back to auto.
  • fred_nyenza

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went to the shop and i brought another hd that is how i solved my problem.

Thank you all for your advice to me.

I would like to close this discussion.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts