Laptop for the Non-Nerd

• CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a friend who needs a basic laptop -- by basic I mean that the most advanced technology he'll be using is wireless. Maybe launch MS Word every now and then. He can totally get by with running Windows 2000 (I know, he could get by with really cheap hardware if he ran Linux, but because he so non-tech savy, I think he'll be happiest with Windows)

He's shopping around for laptops online, but the major tech retailers (newegg, tigerdirect, etc.) assume that everyone buying laptops from them are nerds who need dual-core processors with nVidia GeForce 99999999999 ;).

Now, where's the best place to look for a laptop for a non-nerd? He prefers an ancient processor, no external graphics card, little RAM, etc... because he won't use all the paraphernalia that we geeks would pay through the nose for.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to your nearest electronics retailer, find the cheapest notebook with a decent physical design (I prefer notebooks that are slim and lightweight), and you're all set.

You're unlikely to find anything with an "ancient" processor, unless you go the eBay route and buy used. Finding notebooks with onboard graphics is pretty easy, however.

Every new notebook on the market today is more than adequate for what you've described. I'd focus on aesthetics at this point.
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks... I actually found some pretty good deals on old used laptops on eBay. A lot of them come with no software, but I could help him with that.

I haven't decided exactly how we'll go, but I'll be sure to look into local electronics stores, as well.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts