Laptop processor question.

• lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

My current processor: Intel Pentium 4 processor 2.8GHz @ 533MHz

My current (maximum) Memory: 1280MB DDR SDRAM (1 x 256MB, 1 x 1024MB) - (PC2700 DDR333 SODIMM)

Performance wise, this processor is great, but it crushes my battery life. If there something out there that I could change to that will give me comparable performace but not kill my battery life?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Centrino Duo (1.83), I have one in my laptop and I get about 3 hours.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The thing is, you just don't replace laptop processors.

If you want to attempt it you would need to find a slower clocked P4 or Celeron that has the same or lower bus speed and the same pin configuration and pray to god you don't break anything.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've replaced laptop processors before. Depending on the system, it can either be easy or a major PITA. YMMV however.

If your not a complete headcase like myself, then I wouldn't attempt it. I just had to add RAM to my new Lenovo/IBM T60. What a nightmare with that stupid plastic cover. It took me 15 *plum* minutes to get it on right and then the screws are some weird type that even _I_ have never seen. And I have a MSC/Granger catalog sitting next to me with next day delivery and I STILL couldn't find anything like those *plum*'s... :lol:

Anyway, the plastic cover has these tabs that slid under metal slots on the very edge of the machine.

Other than that, its a laptop - unless your crazy (like me) and don't care about warranties (like me) then I wouldn't suggest it.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the replies all, I've decided against it. I use the laptop as a home PC so it is plugged into the mains most of the time anyway.

It just would be nice now and again to go completely wireless, but I'll live with it.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most times the processor has very little to do with it. Its the design of the laptop and condition of the battery.

My ThinkPad T60 gets awesome battery life (with a T2300E & 9cell battery). My NC6220 had junk for battery life.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Most times the processor has very little to do with it. Its the design of the laptop and condition of the battery.

So all things being equal, you think a 2.8GHz P4 would have comparable battery life to a 1.83GHz Centrino Duo?

Just ordered myself a new (cheap!) battery off eBay - 6600mAh which should do better than the 4400mAh battery that came with my laptop. 8)
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

LoL... shlby brave soul, I wouldnt dare touch those evil clams we call laptops... its so fragile god, one wrong move and you have just blown a $2000 hole is your wallet. :?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts