Laptop Processor Speeds

• KingOfChaos
  • KingOfChaos

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyone know why most Laptop processors rarely reach the 2 Ghz speed? Is it because processors above that speed create too much heat or do they require too much battery power to run? Kinda sucks, since I got my laptop for its ability to be stored quickly and neatly in a hurry and not for its ability to be portable. In the Navy, my room has to be CLEAN...so even though I am authorized to leave my laptop out, I choose to put it in my closet/locker when I leave for work/school everyday just to be sure...that and I don't want people *peach* with my system when I am not there.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

They have mobile workstations that have even had desktop processors. Sometimes a laptop is just a easily movable desktop.

As for the more portable of the group, you will find a lot more sub 2.0Ghz processors for a mixture of heat restraints and battery life.

Most of the newer core duos are under 2.0Ghz but honestly it doesn't matter. A 1.66Ghz Core Duo would whip the crap out of an older 2.0Ghz Pentium 4 Mobile. o it's no longer really about the Ghz number. The companies no longer market it really anymore.

An AMD Athlon 64 FX 5000+ isn't a 5.0Ghz processor the same a Core 2 Duo X6800 isn't 6.8Ghz.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts