Laptop Recommendations

• midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a 14 year old who, by may or june, will get a laptop from my parents. I assume there is no price range. Can someone reccomend a laptop suitable for me? Here is what I want:

-Processor Capable of Handling Games
-Memory: Enough to have a LOT of things open
-Weight: 5 Pounds Max
-Size: No Preference
-Screen: Very Bright, preferably one of those "shiny" screens
-video card: good enough to handle 3d support
-wireless: b/g card built in
-hd: min 40 gb

style: no preference
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My laptop/notebook is a Gateway and I love it. I have always liked Gateway products.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would say take a look at HP and see what you like
i have a amd 2800+ 1024 ram 60gb hd, high def wide screen
it is a compaq presario R3000 i like it alot i think you would injoy it too
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sager all the way

http://www.sagernotebook.com/
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

Toshiba, I wouldn't touch any other brand, plus they offer a pretty cheap accidental damage plan directly from Toshiba, and they don't hassle you when you file a claim on that plan.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smiles... now that midgesty has gotten four different opinions on four differect manufacturers I'm sure there's a bookoo load of clarity here *lol. For what it's worth Midgesty, there are many reputable manufacturers of Notebooks. Best advice I can think of is search for the specs you need and go with a manufacturer you feel comfortable with.

If you find one you like, post the model and specs, and I'm quite certain you will get good feedback.
  • SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didnt want to create a new topic as this is similar to what i was wanting to ask, but i am looking to buy a new laptop.

I was hoping to spend just a few hundred pounds for a computer with around 40GB quite fast etc etc (basically, good)

I am not fussed whether it has an OS on it as this is something i am happy installing this myself.

I agree with Bgnn32 in that Toshiba are a good make of Computer.

Does anybody know where i can get a Laptop for a relatively good price. Any websites?

Thanks!
  • deirdre
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: New England Seacoast

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with both Sager and Toshiba brands. I don't care for Dell laptops (only rec their desktops), they always have hardware issues. Too bad IBM has stopped making them themselves - they made some hardy hardware systems over the years.

Inexpensive alternative surprisingly is the 64-bit emachine laptops (owned now by Gateway, I believe). They have actually done quite well at the testing facilities and with reviewers.

I would spend extra (longer and more inclusive) on the warranty for a laptop, whatever brand you get.
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

deirdre wrote:
I don't care for Dell laptops (only rec their desktops), they always have hardware issues.

i agree

on another note, i think i've found a laptop i may like:

Toshiba M45
Intel PM at 1.73 ghz
MS Home SP2
No MS office (i already have ms office 2000, which is so awesome)
512MB PC2700 DDR333 SDRAM (256MBx2)
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 w/64MB-128MB shared video memory
DVD Burner
100GB HD
Intel Wireless Pro (802.11g)

or...theres another from hp

ill show specs later. have ta go to schol
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

SB wrote:
I didnt want to create a new topic as this is similar to what i was wanting to ask, but i am looking to buy a new laptop.

I was hoping to spend just a few hundred pounds for a computer with around 40GB quite fast etc etc (basically, good)

I am not fussed whether it has an OS on it as this is something i am happy installing this myself.

I agree with Bgnn32 in that Toshiba are a good make of Computer.

Does anybody know where i can get a Laptop for a relatively good price. Any websites?

Thanks!

I am not sure what a few hundred pounds would work out to be in dollars, but it sounds like you are going to have a hard time finding a good laptop that cheap. If you go to Toshiba's website they have a tradein program where you can get some money for trading in some old equipment (dosen't have to be a toshiba, or even a laptop).
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

midgetsy wrote:
Toshiba M45
Intel PM at 1.73 ghz
MS Home SP2
No MS office (i already have ms office 2000, which is so awesome)
512MB PC2700 DDR333 SDRAM (256MBx2)
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 w/64MB-128MB shared video memory
DVD Burner
100GB HD
Intel Wireless Pro (802.11g)

That is a nice setup only twp spots where you could really see some improvement, If you got it with XP Pro and had the ATI 9000 mobility card the thing would be screaming, but that one should meet your needs.

I used to have a Compaq (now owned by HP) laptop, if they still are making them the same way I can't say much bad about it, the thing put up with a lot of abuse and didn't give me much problems, but there was some weird things with the bios on it.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking around £400, which is about $755. Obviously i dont imagine i will get a decent computer for that price. I was looking for one based in the UK.

I know you can get decent new laptops without any operating system on it or any other software on it for around the price i suggested. I will have to do some research to find out.

The laptop i am using right now was about the price i mentioned and its been fantastic (with the exception of my CD drive recently).
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a sharp laptop and iv had no problems what so ever with it in the 2 years iv owned it and i leave it on all day.
I never used to like sharp products but this laptop has changed my mind.

Anyone thinking about buying a laptop in the uk i would suggest not spending less that £900.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't even know Sharp made laptops
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

meman wrote:
I have a sharp laptop and iv had no problems what so ever with it in the 2 years iv owned it and i leave it on all day.
I never used to like sharp products but this laptop has changed my mind.

Anyone thinking about buying a laptop in the uk i would suggest not spending less that £900.

I am not sure i am keen on spending that kind of cash. If i had that money on me i would change my priority to getting a new car rather than a laptop. Something like £400 would be ideal!
  • meman
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: London Town , Apples and pears and all that crap

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah the main thing is only to spend what ya can.
Something im always going to do now is buy computers and eqipment from a small computer shop rather than big superstores.
You get exactly the same warrenty and usually get better deals.
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i like the toshiba i mentioned earlier, but i want amd athlon processor and ati graphics. its hard to find something like that =[
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Found ONE!!!!!

Acer TravelMate 8100
Intel Centrino Mobile Technology
Intel Pentium M 770
MS Home SP2
15.4" WSXGA+ TFT LCD
512mb mem
100 GB HDD
DVD burner
ATI MOBILITY RADEON X700 WITH 128 MB
ITS PERFECT!!!!!!!!! aND ONLY 6 POUNDS!!!!
PERFECT FOR ME AND MY 3d attempts at modeling!!!!
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

how much is that one? My friend wants a laptop that can run games and for school. He doesnt need an awesome graphics card. Even though he wants to buy one now he has nowhere near the money to pay though. LOL
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Last time i checked it was around 2000. But that was from a 3rd party source, acer.com doesnt seem to be selling them, i also found an acer ferrari 3400, which has the same specs but boasts an AMD Athlon 64 FX processor and ATI Mobility Radeon 9800 graphics...nice
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

The biggest problem with the AMD processors and laptop is heat, most of the AMD's I have delt with run quite a bit hotter than the Pentiums, and with a laptop I know a few people who have laptops that they cannot use in thier lap because of the heat.
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ahh..id better stick with the toshiba x]
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

otherwise, say bye bye to your ummmm..."man bodily fluid"<==(gender dependant)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts