My laptop toshiba shut down by itself

• associates
  • Student
  • Student
  • associates

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me here. I have a laptop toshiba, model: Satellite 2430, system type: x86-based PC.

What's been happening is that it has been shutting itself down lately when in the middle of running something (could be games or other applications). Then, i thought i might want to reformat the entire hard drive and start all over again.

Then, i put in the XP CD to the CD drive and run it. It turns itself off in the middle of formatting the hard drive. Also I heard a lot of fan noise running in the background. It sounds like it's running a big application. A few seconds after that, it dies.

Another thing that i tried was i deliberately unplugged the power cord and let it run on the battery alone. It died after a few minutes.

I have also tried to remove the battery and let it run on the power coming from the power adaptor. That doesn't help either.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Thank you in advance.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds to me like it is overheating and shutting itself down to avoid damaging itself.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea its deffinatly an overheating issue, download and run speedfan ( http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php ) and tell us what your temps are.
  • associates
  • Student
  • Student
  • associates

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you to you both, Tomrulez and Grinch2171,

I agree with you that it'd be due to an overheating problem. Someone just uses a power adaptor that's got ASUS branded written on it and hooks it up to the toshiba laptop. I looked at the output voltage written on the back of the laptop, it says something like 19V -- 4.74A, whereas the power adaptor says 19V -- 3.42A. I don't know if this would cause dramatic impact on the computer. But i'm sure that they can't just use other laptops's power adaptor and plug it into a different brand laptops. Am I right?

By the way, what's the guidelines for hardware like CPU temperature and other hardwares go on the motherboard? (just for future reference).

Thank you in advance
  • KTC
  • Born
  • Born
  • KTC
  • Loc: Turkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I've got a Toshiba laptop too - new 6 weeks ago. It also keeps shutting down. Yesterday it opened up windows, then would shut down after a couple of minutes. Today, it won't even stay on long enough to load windows. I don't know much about laptops, but I'm worried I've got a virus on it already... could that do this? I don't understand how it can be an overheating problem if it's not been on for 4 weeks (I was away) and doesn't feel hot... can it be? What can I do if so?

Also, the battery was on 0%, then went up to 100% and now it's totally empty again altho it's been plugged into the mains.

I bought this in England and use a plug adaptor to use it in Turkey, where I'm living. Can this be a problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated - I need to get work done!

Thanks in advance

Katie
  • toshiba
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • toshiba

Post 3+ Months Ago

associates and KTC:
your problems about your Toshiba laptop mainly from the laptop battery, some due to the memory effect and some due to the age of the battery,i suggest discharging your Toshiba laptop battery 100% and charging it 100%,that makes the battery memory effect completely disappear, what's more, when the battery has been used for more than 1 year, it may work more and more poor, just like shut down suddenly. If it's true, it's time to change your Toshiba laptop battery, buy a replacement Toshiba laptop battery on line,it may be discount and high capacity.on the other side, your Toshiba laptop adapter may be some trouble with them,it's AV/DC voltage transverter should be changed.
  • tedjordan
  • Born
  • Born
  • tedjordan

Post 58 days ago

OK, I've been noticing this similar thread all over the internet and it seems that the issue is the "power board".

Basically the on/off switch starts to wear.

So I went to a place to have them replace it, but they didn't want to deal with a laptop so what I ended up doing

that seemed to help was to split the back part of the laptop.

OK, that means nothing, and I'm having a hard time putting this into words. Maybe I'll do a video shoot & post

to youtube later, but you know how you normally want to take the cover off of a laptop to access the motherboard?

There's a phase where they say use a guitar pick to take the cover off.

Well, I just did that near the top of the laptop (closest to the power switch), and it's opened like 1/16" of an inch

(1 or 2 mm).

what I think this does is keeps the power switch lifted high enough to not touch the contact that causes the

system to shut down.

Your mileage may vary! :-)

Funutation
  • tedjordan
  • Born
  • Born
  • tedjordan

Post 55 days ago

hopefully this helps ... sorry for all the bouncing

www-youtube-com/watch?v=8ah20LvW5Eo

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts