Laptop Will Not Turn On With Ac Cord Or Battery

• igot2p
  • Born
  • Born
  • igot2p

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello All,

Although this may sound like a cliche but my dog ate my ac power adapter for my nibilis laptop. The specs for the adapter were 20v 3a. I purchased an after market laptop adapter that is 20v 3.5a. I hear the drives spin for a half second when I turn it on with the adapter in. I don't know if the extra 1/2 a is to blame but it seems like it shouldn't. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

Igot2p
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

the extra .5 amp shouldn't have any affect whatsoever. Whenever I leave my power supply for my laptop somewhere I just use my friends power supply, it's 1.2amp more than mine and the same voltage and it works fine, although we both have laptops made by IBM.

There are a few thigns that I can think of that might be the problem in this case.

1. It MIGHT be that your laptop checks to make sure that the power supply plugged in is the one that came with it somehow, and will refuse to turn on if it isn't. There are a few ways this might work. It might test to see if the volatge and amps are exactly right, or the power supply might produce some kind of a carrier signal for the laptop to detect, and if the lpatop doesn't detect it, the laptop won't turn on.

2. Check the polarity, but if it were a polarity problem chances are something in there would have gone BOOM.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah hes right the polrity might mess everything up as far as amps current supplied into a siries circuit could have a bad effect but since laptop are complex parrelel ciruits the current that geos into it is only what the laptop needs not what is being fed
  • igot2p
  • Born
  • Born
  • igot2p

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the quick replies. I left one detail out of the last post. This charger did charge the battery twice before not working at all. Sorry about leaving that part out. Guess I should post when both eyes are open and I've had a pot of coffee :P.

Igot2p
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

well if it charged it twice and now it doesn't charge it any more, you've probably fried something.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

u may have blow a fuse, in either the power supply or the laptop. Start with the power supply first -> important note here: MAKE SURE IT IS NOT PLUGGED INTO A WALL OUTLET. They really don't carry enough amps to kill you (unless you are really old or have a heart condition) just an unpleasant experience ;) oh and be careful of the capacitors they can still hold a charge after you unplug the power supply. So take out all the screws that are holding the two halves together. Usually the fuse will be in a holder of some sort, if it is soldered on to the circuit board I wouldn't recommend unsoldering and resoldering a new fuse in unless you have had some experience soldering on circuit boards, enjoy :D
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

also there may be a fuse in the laptop. I took my laptop apart one and there was a fuse in it. Now why didn't I think it might be a fuse?
  • Dr.Knight
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dr.Knight

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a similar problem .
Can anyone help me with this one ??
I live in the UAE . I recently bought an HP pavilion ZV5240us from the States while I was on holiday. The computer is gr8 and I got it on an excellent price (new) from CompUSA.
Last night before retiring I just finished uploading a MS explorer service pack and it had asked for a restart . I though I'd do it the next day and put the system on standby.
When I wake up in the morning, the laptop just would not start.
I think the bat pack is blown or it could be the fuse.
I can't think of any reason why that happened except for the voltage difference between here and the USA.
UAE operates on a 220V and the US 120V. But the charger is designed for all voltages and the output voltage from the charger should always be same.
CAn anyone help me? Now I am thinkin of going back to the States just to fix my laptop.
If I tamper with the fuse will the warranty be void ???
  • bryan89121
  • Born
  • Born
  • bryan89121

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea i have a toshiba computer and i messed up the old charger and i got a new one the exact same and pluged it in and no lights come on it wont turn can somebody please help.
  • Champak
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

WOW, how hard did you dig to find this post!?....2004. I saw 7824 views and wondered, what the hell kind of post that isn't a sticky has that many views with less than 10 replies?.

Well anyway, just had to comment, good luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts