laptop won't charge battery

• anerd
  • Born
  • Born
  • anerd

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys

I just got a Compaq Presario 1255 laptop from my neighbor. However, there are a few problems with it. The one i'm asking about is the laptop battery not charging. When i insert the battery with AC adapter plugged in, no charging indicator appears and the battery does not charge. If I turn the laptop on with both AC and battery power applied, Windows 98 shows the battery is not charging. I opened up the laptop and found a 'charging' board. I am wondering if the board or the battery is the problem (I can charge the battery by using a customized power supply seperatly). In case you need to know, it is a 9.6volt 4500mAh NIMH battery.

Thanks in advance.

-anerd
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lhuser
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it has to do with your battery. How old is the laptop?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tested the output of the charging board where it connects to the battery? Is there output?
  • lhuser
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
Have you tested the output of the charging board where it connects to the battery? Is there output?

I give up1 what's a charging board?

Again, it might be also you plug (AC outlet)

Yawwwwn... im off to bed
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

This appears to be a frequently asked question.

If your laptop AC connects through your battery and your Laptop runs whilst connected to the mains, you can assume there is a problem with the battery or as Lucassix said, the charging board.
  • anerd
  • Born
  • Born
  • anerd

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tested the output from the charging board. It is only .3 volts. The battery charges fine. I have determined the names of each terminal on the battery: negative, thermistor (to check battery voltage, this operates properly), data, clock and positive.

The laptop was made in 1999 i think.

the AC is correct because i'm using a precise variable power supply set to the correct voltage and amperage of the 'supplied' AC adapter.
  • anerd
  • Born
  • Born
  • anerd

Post 3+ Months Ago

and btw, a chrgerboard is (as i can see it inside the laptop) a board that attaches to the motherbaord and does something to the 19 volts supplied to the laptop via the AC adapter and converts it to a proper voltage to charge the battery (it should be, by the equation i'm using, about 11.28 volts, however, it is only supplying .3 volts

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts