Laptop won't run on battery

• snjbrian
  • Born
  • Born
  • snjbrian
  • Loc: NJ USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey gang,
I got a used HP zt1150 laptop as a gift from a friend.

It runs fine on AC power but it will not turn on or run from the battery. The laptop will not charge the batteries either.

A guy at work has a HP zt1150. I tested my batteries on his. They work just fine! I also bought a brand new one from HP and it still will not run. Both batteries will hold a charge. The laptop will not charge the batteries and as a test, I drained one battery down to 36%, stuck it in mine and ran it under AC power. It does not charge it. It just stays at 36% on the lcd screen built into the laptop model.

I am pretty handy and can fix almost anything. I have soldered, etc.

Can I fix this myself? What is wrong? Where can I get a replacement part?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

snjbrian
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

check the conection to the batterie
  • snjbrian
  • Born
  • Born
  • snjbrian

Post 3+ Months Ago

I spoke with 2 different laptop technicians that said it was probably the "charging circuit" but neither would not tell me about it, how to fix it, where to buy the part, etc. lol I know they wanted to get some business but I told them upfront I don't want to spend any money on this if I cannot do it myself.

If anyone knows where to get this part or a great source of hard to find parts for laptops...please let me know.

I checked the battery contacts and the contacts on the mobo. I took it apart and checked for broken solder connections...I did not see any. This might even be the mobo since the pc acknowledges a battery exists and shows the level of charge correctly.

Thanks in advance,
snjbrian
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does it still have Windows XP installed, if so does it have SP2 installed ?

I know it sounds odd but I've seen a few cases of people getting "charging circuit error" after installing SP2.
here's a compaq, http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/foru ... dId=683954

Quote:
I sent a request to HP and got a helpful response which did solve the problem. It seems that the laptop's charging system had been disrupted by SP2!. Removing the battery and restarting on the power adapter with minimum system specification made the charging circuit reset itself.
  • snjbrian
  • Born
  • Born
  • snjbrian

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmmmmmmmmmm interesting theory!!!!I wiped the HD clean and did a fresh install of WinXP with SP2.

I just disassembled my laptop to look for broken solders, etc and found nothing.
I will try reassembling and seeing if it resets.

I know I did run it without the battery in it but I did not set it to run on the minimum settings under MSCONFIG and I did not try booting into safemode.

Let me try it and see. I will post my findings tomorrow.

Thanks joebert for this interesting post!!!!
  • Abdullah
  • Abdullah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi to all

I had a HP Pavillion Laptop that was working good until I found that the battery can be not charged.

One of my friend told me this:

" I left the laptop unplugged with the battery removed all day while I was at work. Then when I came home I held the power button (still with everything removed) for 30 sec. I read this on the HP web site, it's to discharge the capacitors. Finally, I put the battery back in and plugged in the adaptor and everything worked! "

What can I do my father will make my life same as living in hell :( .

Abdullah
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why can you not re-charge the battery ?
  • Abdullah
  • Abdullah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Enigma

I am happy to hear from you.

Here are the story:
My brother was working on the laptop when suddenly a massage about the battery appeared into him, then the system is off. He said that he plugged the laptop with power supply, put there was no response.

- Why can you not re-charge the battery ?

I want your help to re-charge the battery. I do not know exactly how to charge the battery because I connected the laptop to the power supply to charge the battery but the charging light was off like there was no charging process taking place.

Abdullah
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I take it the rest of the Laptop functions fine, if thats so, it sounds like it might be the battery itself.

Have you got another battery or a friend with a similar battery that you could put into your Laptop & try to rechage that battery to see if it is the battery that is the problem ?
  • Abdullah
  • Abdullah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello

I did not try another battery, but I am going to test it tomorrow.

If there is something new I will tell you.

Thanks
  • Abdullah
  • Abdullah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello

I am going to test the battery, but in my way one of my friend told me that the laptop should be working without the battery just by the power supply which is not happen my case can you help me . :)

Abdullah
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh right. Alot of the laptops I use connect to the mains via the battery.

It sound like either your power cord, or the connector within your laptop may be faulty then rather than your battery.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have 2 laptops that both use the same batterys and the batterys both died a year since we had them. What my parents did was remove the batteries and put them back in and somehow that jacked up the batterys to where they only run on plugged in power sources but not a battery.
  • Abdullah
  • Abdullah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello

How are Enigma ?

My father knew about the Laptop. We took it for the maintenance. They said they will figure out. Moreover, they added it probably related to the mother board.

Enigma,

I would be happy to know your comment.

Thanks
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I`m not sure how it could be a mobo issue, I may be wrong but this is how I see it.

Your laptop was working fine off the battery, therefore the power from the battery MUST be travelling around your mobo [ unless it gets to your components some other way ].

The problem arises when you try to recharge your battery or power your laptop using the main power supply [ both of which envolve your battery, power must travel through your battery to get to your mobo and to your components ].

Thats how I see the problem anyway.
  • mrtanooki
  • Born
  • Born
  • mrtanooki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have just recently bought a dell latitude c600 laptop and i am having the same problem with batteries not charging. the very first thing i did with it was wipe the harddrive and install XP with SP2. i wonder if the battery really could be affected by this? i cant say for sure cause i didnt use the OS it came with for more than a few seconds.

but yea.. when i try to charge my battery the charging light blinks very slowly, staying green for about a second and then blank for a good few more seconds. this is driving me nuts all i wanted this thing for was to take notes with in class. keep me up to date if any of you find a solution.
  • dragon-tattoo
  • Born
  • Born
  • dragon-tattoo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.... I just found this post while I was searching for resolutions as to why MY battery will not charge/computer will not run on battery power. My computer was working fine yesterday morning. I left the computer on all day to downlod a 600mb file while i was at work, and prior to this, i went in to power options under the control panel and changed it so that the computer NEVER hibernates, NEVER turns off the screen, etc to prevent disruption of the download. I then left my computer on for the whole next night with the same power options. When I came home from work today, I was on my computer, and when the AC adapter accidentally came unplugged, my computer shut off. Now it will not run on battery power and will not charge. The light is on, on my charger, and there was a little lightning bolt over the battery icon in the system tray, but it was staying at 3%. I then removed the battery and restarted the computer with the AC power only, then I restarted it again with the battery in, hoping it would work this time. Now it just says AC Power in the system tray, and it does not even say it is charging. Now it won't charge at all!!!! I am having the same problem as you, and if you figure out a solution please let me know! I do not have another battery to use, to test it.... so I don't know what to do? Anyone have any suggestions?????????? :( Thanks

By the way, it is an HP Pavillion zv5000 and I do have SP2 installed. It has been installed for quite a while, though. I am going to uninstall SP2 right now to see if this helps........... I hope I don't totally mess up my computer... lots of things I need on here ; \
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your laptop is working when you use the AC mains but the battery will neither charge or power the laptop itself, it's most definatly your battery.

You need to get ahold of another battery that you know works and test it, either that or take it to your local computer store.
  • DR.V
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm maybe you need the clean the metal thingy that connect from your battery to your laptop , use a sand paper .
  • dragon-tattoo
  • Born
  • Born
  • dragon-tattoo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigma wrote:
If your laptop is working when you use the AC mains but the battery will neither charge or power the laptop itself, it's most definatly your battery.

You need to get ahold of another battery that you know works and test it, either that or take it to your local computer store.

I called HP, and my computer was still under warranty, so they are sending me a new battery :D I am getting it on Tuesday! I'll let you all know if that was the problem. What about the original poster? Have you fixed your problem? Keep us updated!
  • dragon-tattoo
  • Born
  • Born
  • dragon-tattoo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wanted to let you know that I got the new battery from HP today, and it works now! Just needed a new battery. Thanks! Good luck to the original poster!
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigma wrote:

**Cough** ^^ **Cough** :D
  • Melachiah
  • Born
  • Born
  • Melachiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had lately bought a used laptop that worked fine. It is a sony VIAO, however their website won't tell me what model it is because it is millitary issue and not one of their commercial models. (It was bought under the table from a guy I know in the army.) The laptop stopped working, he asked if I could fix it, when I did, the millitary sent him a new one so I bought it off of him..

Anyway, I digress...

When I first got it and fixed it, everything worked fine, not a single proble, including the battery which ran, and chanrged without problem. Then I bought some outomotice paint, and took the laptop apart, layered on wood putty, carved a design in the back of the screen, put it back together. It looks great, works fine, battery still ran and still charged.

Then one day out of no where the battery stopped. I tried a friends battery which was of the same model and it worked, so I figured I just needed a new battery, I bought a new battery and it worked, said it was at 3%. The power manager said it was charging, but over the next hour it didn't go above 3%. So I turned the laptop off and let it charge without any drain. When I turned it back on with AC power I tried uplugging AC power and it shut off. The power icon says it is running only on AC power and that there is no battery present.

I am hoping someone can help explain what may be going on, I have taken this thing apart probably 10 times trying to figure out what it is and I refuse to pay someone else to fix something I am sure I am capable of doing.
  • seanok
  • Born
  • Born
  • seanok

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wanted to reply to this thread.

The original question was about a latitude C6xx not a HP or Sony machine.

I have a similar problem that the latitude runs on AC power but will not charge the battery.

And before you rant on "Cough" that its definitely the battery...

Its not. I have an old battery with some charge that will hold the machine up, but it will not charge it.

I have two other (one new)batteries that are since depleted and neither will it charge these.

I have updated the BIOS and this has not solved the issue either.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes you have a similar problem, not the same. Therefore, it may be your problem requires a different solution. The solution provided worked for the person in question.

I was not "ranting", I was pleased to have been able to help.

Quote:
And before you rant on "Cough" that its definitely the battery...

Its not. I have an old battery with some charge that will hold the machine up, but it will not charge it.

I have two other (one new)batteries that are since depleted and neither will it charge these.

I have updated the BIOS and this has not solved the issue either.

How does that prove its definitely not the battery ?

That neither proves nor disproves my point.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts