Laptops

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My father is looking to get a new computer and instead of a desktop he wants to get a laptop. Well I've been out of the loop for a while so I really don't know about manufactures performance is doing. I've always like Toshiba and we have four of their laptops in my house hold alone. However, some of my friends have been getting some HP computers and then have been pretty nice too. So I was wondering if anyone has anything to say about different laptops.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bought three laptops for $400 each. They were cheap but they came with Vista on them which I don't like. I've heard that HP is selling computers that have XP on them but with Vista licenses. I don't know if it's true but I would go for that first. One of the laptops I bought was Lenovo but I wiped Vista and put FreeBSD on it. I like the Lenovo better than the HPees. It seems easier to use. Whatever you buy, try to get it with XP on it.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

No matter what brand he decides on, make sure he gets one of the cooling plate things with the fans built in to set the laptop on.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a big fan of the Lenovo ThinkPads; I'm thinkin about getting one myself once I decide to part with my PowerBook. And when I have money.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off ignore Don2007's opinion of Vista. Vista with SP1 is a very capable O/S.

Second, there is no need for a cooling pad, especially if the laptop is new, If it starts to run hot when it is older then you need to clean it, getting a cooling pad is ignoring the bigger problem.

Third, Lenovo, HP, and Toshiba all make quality products, you would probably be happy with any of the three. I would avoid Dell at all costs (except for maybe an XPS system) and the lower end Acer's are junk.

Best bang for the buck at the moment seems to be HP.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why should he ignore my opinion of Vista just because you like it? He should ignore your opinion. Many people went back to XP.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

Give me one good reason why you shouldn't run Vista SP1 on a new computer?

Don, I have looked at the advice you have given in many threads on this board, you clearly think you know what you are talking about, but the reality of it is you don't.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll give you one good reason, XP is better.
That is a widely shared opinion by thousands, if not millions of users. Now, tell me that's not true.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now there is a really well thought out answer.

Why is it better? what makes it better? How exactly is it better? What exactly does it do better?

It is true when Vista first came out it was a disaster, but now that hardware drivers have caught up it is as good, and in many ways (in particular security) better than XP.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You just gave me one of the many reasons why it's better and you're smart enough to give me some others but don't bother because debates are worthless. It's ok if you don't agree with my opinions, just don't tell people to ignore me.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

This thought just occured to me.

If your father is looking to get a new laptop, and is asking you about it, it's probably a good idea to put a great deal of consideration into who has the best warrenty. Not that I doubt you, but you can't be there to watch him and the laptop all the time now, can you ?

Quote:
Second, there is no need for a cooling pad, especially if the laptop is new, If it starts to run hot when it is older then you need to clean it, getting a cooling pad is ignoring the bigger problem.

There's no need to keep my steak in the fridge because I should cook it before I eat it anyway, but like the laptop on a cooling pad, the steak will keep longer at a lower temp.

You can live like a caveman if you want, but I will be keeping my laptops on cooling pads for the forseeable future. :D
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
You just gave me one of the many reasons why it's better and you're smart enough to give me some others but don't bother because debates are worthless. It's ok if you don't agree with my opinions, just don't tell people to ignore me.

I asked for one real reason why in your opinion XP is better, and you can't give a reason. The fact is you are clearly just scared of change, something that won't take you far in the computer world, XP is your comfort zone and you won't step out of it, so you insult anything that is different. If this wasn't the case then surely you would have been able to provide one solid reason why XP is better.

I on the other hand did provide one solid reason, security, why Vista is better, there are others, but I was only asking you for one so I only provided one.

Now as for the cooling pad, Laptops are designed to keep themselves cool, just like desktops, the only reason you will need extra cooling like a cooling pad is if you are over clocking (which isn't advisable on most laptops) or if the computer is running hot. If it is running hot a good solution would be fixing the problem (most likely dust) instead of applying external cooling, even with external cooling if your heatsink is caked in dust you will do harm to the computer.

I cooling pad for a laptop is a complete waste of time, money, and energy.

The FUD in this one thread is sickening.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I gave you a reason. You didn't like it although you correctly mentioned the driver problem. If you insist, I'll give you another reason but it will be the last. You can stop "stealing focus" in Vista which is part of Vista security that you like so much. If I'm wrong about that, tell me how to do it.

Yes, I'm comfortable with XP but I also run FreeBSD and Ubuntu. I have a Vista laptop as well. Why shouldn't I use what I like? You do.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your reason was:

Don2007 wrote:
I'll give you one good reason, XP is better.
That is a widely shared opinion by thousands, if not millions of users. Now, tell me that's not true.

That is really a thought out reason there, boy your right you got me.

XP is better is your opinion, one that the facts don't support.

The driver issues have long since been resolved, so that is a non-issue, unless you are using some antique piece of hardware.

Your comment on stealing focus, XP does the same thing, unless you download something like tweakui, which I haven't tried, but have heard will work in Vista as well.

As for staying with what you are comfortable with, well that is fine, I personally run a laptop with Vista, 2 Desktops with XP and one with Ubuntu, they each serve their purpose.

However you also need to learn to move on with the times in the computer world, nothing stays the same and O/S's change, I am not saying be an early adopter but don't be afraid of something that is different.

What I take great offense to though is you telling someone to avoid something for no good reason. This person has no reason to avoid Vista, they didn't mention any software they need to run that isn't compatible with Vista, they didn't mention an hardware that isn't compatible either. There is no good reason for this person to avoid Vista, in fact with EOL of XP already past and the end of support coming in a few years I would say it is quite foolish to buy a new computer with XP on it, as you are sure to be sitting on a grossly outdated system in a year or two.

Don, you have a proven track record on this forum of spreading FUD, I have read through many of your comments and you don't seem to bother to read peoples posts or you simply lack the necessary knowledge to help the people, yet that still doesn't stop you from posting.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Now as for the cooling pad, Laptops are designed to keep themselves cool, just like desktops, the only reason you will need extra cooling like a cooling pad is if you are over clocking (which isn't advisable on most laptops) or if the computer is running hot. If it is running hot a good solution would be fixing the problem (most likely dust) instead of applying external cooling, even with external cooling if your heatsink is caked in dust you will do harm to the computer.

I cooling pad for a laptop is a complete waste of time, money, and energy.

Using your logic, car airbags are a waste of time and money because there's traffic lights and speed limits and everyone should be driving perfect.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is a very poor analogy, you have complete control over what happens to your computer, you don't have control over other people's driving, or mechanical failures that can lead to accidents.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bgnn32: I have helped many people here and in other forums solve their problems, and they have thanked me for it.

You prefer Vista and I prefer XP. So what? It's no big deal. I don't know why you're all bent out of shape. There are many people, like myself who stay one OS behind. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm starting to think that you work for MS or you have stock in the company, the way you are pushing Vista.

Lastly, I never had a problem with stealing focus on XP and the people on Experts Exchange say it can't be stopped on Vista.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had to laugh when I read this forum. Unfortunately bgnn32 has been banned and won't be able to see this.

I will agree Vista has gotten a lot better as far as an OS goes but when you have Steve Balmer openly admitting that people should just skip Vista and wait for Windows7, there is an obvious issue.

I personally run Vista on 3 laptops and 1 desktop at home. So far so good. No driver issues and so far no application issues.

At work it will be a cold day in hell before I switch to Vista. Vista is an awful OS in the business world. It is a resource hog and would require me to upgrade a lot of PC's to make it worth wild. One of our applications we use is not compatible with Vista and won't be any time soon if at all. Of course I could run the app in a VM but that is more overhead and training for users that can barely operate a mouse and keyboard. Could use Terminal Services but once again our main app does not play well with TS.

I agree that XP is a better OS. For one it is more mature, zero driver/application conflicts, security is good but security is a dumb thing to use as a reason for it being better. Vista can be hacked. Vista can be infected with malware, viruses and other nasty things. Just because Vista has the UAC doesn't make it more secure. After a while people either disable UAC or just ignore it and click allow for everything. Security is relative to the person using it. If the person is an idiot and will download and install anything then his/her PC is at risk.

My two cents on Vista.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I saw it said banned under his name but I was wondering why I still saw more of his posts.

I guess I'll just have to send him an email.
thomaslandry@comcast.net
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good luck with that.

One other big point with XP. Gaming. A lot of games will not run on Vista. That is a big deal to a lot of users.

According to this website

http://www.ntcompatible.com/compatos2-1-1.html

There are 1417 game titles compatible with 32 bit XP and only 298 for 32 bit Vista.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that guy was just trying to bait me. I was about to tell him that but he's gone, so it doesn't matter.
  • JoeDomain
  • Born
  • Born
  • JoeDomain

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am going to have to recommend HP. I have had a HP laptop for 17 months now and it works really great no problems at all so far. I know then next portable I get is going to be a HP.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts