HP Laser Jet 4

• packy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • packy
  • Loc: Atlanta, Georga

Post 3+ Months Ago

Printer has stopped working. It is directly connected to my PC. Nothing is getting spooled to the device and I cannot print directly from notepad which is part of HP troubleshooting.

Power appears to be okay and the printer is on-line.

Tried to add/delete device and nothing works. Any suggestions would be appreicated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you mean by directly connected? Do you mean a parallel port or USB connection? Have you stopped and restarted the print spooler in services? Do that to clear the queue. The jobs are probably backed up. Check the port in the printer properties.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, my guess is the jobs are probably backed up.

Like Don2007 said, stop and then restart the print spooler in services when you type 'msconfig' in the run command under the start menu.
  • packy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • packy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moved the printer to another PC (#2) and it works just fine.

Made changes in msconfig (PC # 1) stopped and restarted the spooler and nothing.

Nothing shows when I examine the printer spool. No jobs are backlogged

Perhaps I need to get back to some restore point and see if that makes a difference or does a program to repair/fix the spooler exist?

If I had another device to use on the parallel port I would give it a try.

Hope it is not a hardware issue on the parallel port.
  • packy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • packy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Follow-Up.

Forgot to also inform you that the other PC (desktop) is wireless and I set the printer up to share on my network.

I can print from PC#1 via wireless netork to PC# 2 with HP 4 shared.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

We're going off track here. Once you moved the printer to PC 2, restarting the print spooler on PC 1 is worthless. Let's start from the beginning. You never told us how the printer was connected to PC 1. Was it USB or parallel port? Do you want to put the printer back on PC 1? If it's working on PC 2 and you can still print from PC 1, you might want to leave it there.

If you don't want to leave it there, then describe the complete setup. For example: Modem > router > all PCs. Indicate what's wireless and what's not. If the printer has a network card in it, you can give it an IP address. That's how I have mine set.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

packy wrote:
If I had another device to use on the parallel port I would give it a try.

Hope it is not a hardware issue on the parallel port.

So it sounds like the printer was connected via parallel port.

Could be just as you say, it could be your parallel port is bad. But without another device to try on it, I'm not sure how you could be sure.
  • packy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • packy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Setup is a follows:

Modem/wireless router PC1 attached via NIC card. PC2 is wireless.

HP LaserJet 4 is attached to PC1 via parallel port.

MSConfig used to check status of services and spooler was stopped and restarted on PC1.

Spooler was checked before I connected to PC2 and they were running.

I need to relocate the printer to the original location since PC1 is on second floor and 95% of the printing is done on PC1.

Perhaps some driver got corrupted or the hardware port has died. Want to explore every option before I give up on get the unit working again on PC1. bt

In the past I used a print server but it was a pain and always gave me trouble. Since I moved recently I have no idea were it is since some items
are in multiple locations.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Leave the printer connected to PC1 by parallel port, the way you want it. Make sure that file and print sharing are enabled and that they are also checked under the exceptions tab in the firewall.

After you do that, go to PC2, open the printer folder, delete all the printers in it. Then open the run box, type
\\IP_address of PC1 and press enter Example: \\192.169.0.3

The printer folder on PC1 should appear. Open it, and drag the printer from the folder on PC1 to the printer folder on PC2. Then print a test page.

That should do it.
  • john133
  • Born
  • Born
  • john133

Post 3+ Months Ago

packy wrote:
Printer has stopped working. It is directly connected to my PC. Nothing is getting spooled to the device and I cannot print directly from notepad which is part of HP troubleshooting.

Power appears to be okay and the printer is on-line.

Tried to add/delete device and nothing works. Any suggestions would be appreicated.

---------------------------------------------------------
I advice to uninstallthe software and then re-install it.
Same with window. This may work.
------------------------------------

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts