Latitude D600 Battery Issue Help

• IanCube
  • Born
  • Born
  • IanCube
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all, I'm brand new here but saw a lot of helpful members here after reading through some prior threads, so I would appreciate any help someone can offer here on my issue.

I am working on a Dell Latitude D600 that had XP Pro on it. The user had it plugged into an outlet and running at the time of a power outage, at which time it went right back on after the power outage, booted up, but prompted the user with low battery warnings, even though it was still plugged into the wall.

First attempt was trying a battery from another working D600, which unfortunately did not work either. Upon finishing the Dell Logo bios screen with its loading bar, it immediately shuts down. The batter light on the laptop is red, and does not light up green indicating that its charging, even though it is plugged in.

So, does anyone have any ideas on this one? Anything else I can try without having to open it up? If I do have to open it up, what should I look for?

Thanks in advance to anyone who's able to help out.

-Ian
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did the power cable burn out? That's what it sounds like.
  • IanCube
  • Born
  • Born
  • IanCube

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great idea, I'll try an alternate power cable tonight and see what happens.
  • toshiba
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • toshiba

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ian, if the cable of the adapter is normal and the battery still not recharge, you can full discharge it for over 4-5 hours, then over charge it for 6-7 hours, try this and put it in laptop. if the battery is not decline, that may seems to be the battery suffer from the memory effect.
  • Joe B
  • Born
  • Born
  • Joe B
  • Loc: South Jersey - USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As I have painfully found, DELL has a chip in its AC adapter and poor wiring for it. That little pin in the middle talks to a chip in the laptop. If something gets damaged (apparently happens very frequently), the D600 will say adapter "unknown" - you can check this by going in the bios (F2 on startup) and going to the page about batteries and see the unknown message at the top. If this is the case, the bios has determined that this is not a dell adapter and it will not allow you to charge the battery. On top of that, it slows down the CPU - mine is supposed to be 1.6ghz and it makes mine run at 600mhz. I now have 3 useless DELL AC adaptors and 3 batteries - because it looks like a battery issue. To finish that off, it is also possible that the chip in the laptop is damaged so that after going through adapters and batteries, you'll find that the "solution" is to buy a zillion dollar motherboard. Can we say highway robbery?

Anyway, I'm sure you've damaged one of these. I've found a program to override the cpu speed, so clearly this is a DELL attempt to extort money from customers. I don't know if the chip controls the charging or the bios - haven't found that anyone fixed the bios to charge the battery. Did find someone who cut the chip out of the adapter and put it into the laptop to be able to use any adapter and never have this problem again. Yep, just plain theft by DELL (my last one for sure).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts