LCD/Plasma screen television to connect to laptop

• SB
  • Genius
  • Loc: Aberdeen, Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really not sure if this would be the correct place to post this.

I am looking at buying a television that would be able to connect to my laptop and show what i can see on the laptop screen. I understand that the screen resolution is quite an important factor when buying this television. Plasma would be a bit too expensive, so if it could be an LCD screen then that would be fantastic.

Ideally i am looking to be a victim of retail marketing success by taking part in the January sales and want to "grab a bargain" so if someone could help me out as soon as possible so i can start doing some research on some decent television screens then i would really appreciate this.

Obviously not expecting a reply today as it is Christmas, just whenever someone can would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone know what it is i am asking. Would be quite interested to get this sorted this month.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your laptop has SVideo output (many do these days), that would probably work with pretty much any LCD TV.

If you're looking for one with a specific VGA input, you might have to just get a decent sized LCD screen & Hauppauge card or something, or splash out the extra and get one with VGA input.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was suggested that i should be looking at the pixels. Not entirely what was meant when i was told this. I understand that it wont work on any TV, it has to be able to match my laptop Pixels at least.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well SVideo output will work on any TV with SVideo input (or through a VCR or other device with SVideo input).

Are you trying to use your TV as a monitor replacement? To extend your desktop? Or just to watch movies & play games on?
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its a little dream of mine to have some sort of set up where i could use a television screen as a means of increasing the size of my desktop and literally only ever needing to go near/touch my laptop to turn it on or off. I am trying to get a wireless set up where i could be anywhere in the room and use my laptop but obviously depending on where i am in the room my vision of whats on the screen isnt all that good, if i was to have a bigger screen that should improve the whereabouts in the particular room i am in.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahhh, gotcha.

Basically you want to look at the native resolution of the TV. If you can handle that resolution, your SVideo output should be able to send that resolution from your PC, then you could use any one with an SVideo input.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the help Axe!
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

No worries. I ultimately intend to do something similar here, so I'll be interested in what you find in your search :)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SVideo will nowhere near give you any sort of useable resolution.

TV's and Computers yet do not hum in harmony. Even IF it could operate at true 1080i or 1080p, thats nowhere near what most computer monitors can handle.

If said computer had a DVI-D 1.1 output (which supports 1080i) and said TV had a DVI-D 1.1 input and could natively display 1080i, your response time (because of the progressive scan filter) will suck.

Now, when 1080p comes out (no need for de-interlacing because the video bandwidth would be there) and you have true 1080p throughout everything, you *may* have something nicer. But that is a way off.

I have been looking into this for a very long time. I recently went the way of LCD monitors only because I found ones that can natively display 1600x1200 at least with a refresh rate of 75hz (which is okay I guess) and still have a response time in the low 10-20ms range. But my CRT's still kick major behind.
  • SB
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That was my fear, i guess.

I recently decided to go and find something that could do this largely due to my brother having this set up in his apartment. The only problem with my brothers situation and myself is, he had £1600 to buy a 42" television screen which just so happened to work well with his laptop computer.

Obviously i dont want to spend £1600 on a television screen when i can hopefully get something a bit smaller that would also be better on finances.

So, by reading your post GT500Shlby i can assume you dont believe its possible to get anything like this on a cheap. Most television sets wouldnt be able to provide a good refresh rate?

It is a shame that. Probably being a little to ambitious.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not saying at all... I'm just saying not yet.

The technology is here, just not widespread. It also depends on your preferences. The poor refresh rates and lack of sharpness gives me terrible headaches. Some people don't even notice.
  • Neuro_D
  • Born
  • Born
  • Neuro_D

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all! I was looking around forums and i found this to be up my alley. Here's my question.

I own a samsung 32" LCD TV, a model which has RGB input. So i've got some files which I'd like to display on my LCD TV (definition of file = movie). So i got myself a RGB cable and *tada* it displays well from my Acer laptop. But that's only for visual part.

My problem now is i can't get the audio into the TV. The only input (which is grouped under 'PC') is an IR port; and my laptop doesn't have this. The next thing i went to get is an RCA cable. Plugged it EVERYWHERE but the darn tv can't pick it up. RTFMed the manual but it was shallow. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts