Linix Hard Drive Installation

• kmath_us
  • Born
  • Born
  • kmath_us
  • Loc: texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been several years since I've installed a hard drive directly on a machine, Mostly I've been working with networked storage. Anyway something is not working.

I've physically installed the drive and the drive is visible in the LVM.

I've ran FDISK to create the new partition and the partition is visible in the LVM.

When I attempt MKFS -t ext2 /dev/hdb1 I get an error "Invalid argument passed to ext2 library while setting up superblock" so it appears I've forgotten something. From what I can tell ext2 is the default used by FDISK.

Other info: The disk is part of VG1, when I attempt to initialize the partition I get a pvcreate command failed, it's a fairly long message but the bottom-line is /dev/hdb1 not found, however /dev/hdb1 does exist.

Any ideas? I tried a google on Install LINUX harddrive and got a few million hits but nothing specific in the first few pages.

Gotta be something simple I'm missing

thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

-t fstype
Specifies the type of file system to be built. If not speci-
fied, the default file system type (currently ext2) is used.

A.10.2.2.13. mke2fs and mkfs.ext2

mke2fs is used to create a Linux second extended file system on a device (usually a disk partition). mkfs.ext2 does the same as mke2fs.

According to the man page and the quote from
http://www.faqs.org/docs/linux_scratch/ ... progs.html

you don't need the -t since ext2 is the default. That might be why you are getting the error message .
  • kmath_us
  • Born
  • Born
  • kmath_us
  • Loc: texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found the problem. When using FDISK the the system id needs to be set fo LINUX. After enter the partition number, and extents info, enter "t" to set the system ID code, (c6 for a standard LINUX volume), then use mkfs.ext3 to create the filesystem. Finally use the standard mount command and away we go.

Thanks for the help

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts