linksys router and bellsouth.net

• ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have bellsouth dsl and i tryed routing it using lynksys. they router keeps logging of the network and needs to be reset every 2-3 days. i know someone who did this using linksys and he said something about changing the mac ip ? i dont know anyone here have anyideas ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• waggy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you routing through a proxy DNS? I had that problem with my d-link router and I found the problem was caused by the proxy DNS server. I disabled that function and added the DNS server ip to the primary DNS server setting in the router config.

What we were told by cisco as fas as Im aware (somebody prove me wrong) a mac(media access control)(physical address) stamped into the node by the manufacturer at the time of manufacturing. This uniquely identifies the device and operates at layer 2 of the osi model. If you managed to change the mac address it would not conform to the IEEE 802 standard. A router operates at layer 3 of the osi model using logical addressing (ip address) , I fail to see why changing your mac address would stop your isp dropping your link.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe try a firmware update?
I imagine the dhcp lease is expiring every 2-3 days from your isp. Maybe you need to set a static ip, not the mac. Then you can configure your router to dhcp for its client pcs.

I hope this helps, let us know.
  • waggy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Some routers have a max hour limit for public ip address lease before it renews also. It my case it is 72 - 720 hours, yet your router should only drop its link temporarily while it renews then connect again.
What authentication method does your isp use?
  • ccb056
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, my old linksys did that, I replaced it with the linksys with SPI and VPN so far I havent had any problems yet (ive had the new one since Decemberish)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts