linksys router and static ip conflicts

• mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay guys this is begining to turn me under the coller a bit red and fustrated yet I am going to beat this.

got a static IP and when i plug in my static modem into my linksys router I can no longer access my web server behind the firewall of the linksys router. what I get is my wireless hp printer instead of my srever or I get page not found.

I wanted to know if i used another networking card and plugged in the router to that and then did a bridge between the two connections in windows would that work?

trying to hook up my laptop for wireless and have my web server online at the same time along with have wireless printer hooked up too.

any suggestions on trying to get this done would be great I have a final grade that depends on setting up this server but I may just have to leave off the router for now if need be.

mtg
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make sure the port 80 forward goes to the correct ip address internally. Also from INSIDE the router, merely typing in your WAN IP from the modem will not get you to the webpage.

You really need someone external from your entire IP to access it.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

when doing port forwarding on this router i have only one place it can go to is to somewhere on the linksys system. ie 192.168.1.something.

now that I have a static ip does the win xp configuration under that TCIP need to be a static I since the router using the statc IP and giving out DHCP adressess?

or do I need to try and make a gateway with the router. like I did with my friends DSL line. to set up his linksys router?

or do I set the win xp static IP to something that the router would give it and then I can set the port forward to that particular static IP which is my server? and then set up the kinda same thing eith my laptop?
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I take the router out of the system and just plug into my broad modem people can access the server b/c the tech at rr puled it up and told me what my index page looked like. and when I called linksys I thought I was going to need to learn hindi or a different laugage besides english. lol o why cant this half way be easy? I amd thinking about writing abook on how not to set up a web server lol

mtg
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

woah, wait a second. You had the wan port of the router connected to a computer and not directly to the broadband modem?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Click on start
2. Click on run
3. Type CMD
4. Press enter
5. Type IPCONFIG
6. Press enter

You will get an IP address that should be 192.168.1.xxx, that is the IP you forward port 80 to on your router.

Yes you will need to use the router IP as the gateway, typicially 192.168.1.1

Most routers hand out internal IP addresses dynamically using DHCP. You may or may not be able to turn this off. If you turn it off then you will have to set your TCP/IP settings statically. If you leave DHCP on then set the TCP/IP to get it automatically.

The static IP you keep referring to has nothing to do with your router. I'm sure it is your external IP that is static. Did you get the static IP from your ISP?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts