Linksys Wireless AP, BEFW11S4

• Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Someone at work gave me this wireless router because it was "broken" and the wondered if I could fix it. They said I could keep it if I could since they've already bought a new one that works just fine...

Here's the deal:

They bought this router new and it was working sort of at home, but not great. Their neighbor told them they might try updating the firmware on the router, so they went to the Linksys site and followed the directions. After they flashed it, the diag light started flashing and the thing won't respond at all.

That's when they bought it to me... It's been several months now, and I haven't been able to do anything with it. Pressing and holding the reset button on the back doesn't do anything. Shouldn't it restore the original settings? Does that include the original firmware? If not, the things probably toast unless someone can tell me how to flash it without being able to connect to it via the ethernet connections...

Any ideas?

Thanks
.c
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like your friend flashed the incorrect firmware into it. In that case it is now a paperweight, unless you happen to have an EEPROM writer and a lot of free time.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

hm. well, that's too bad. c'est la vie. At least I can move it from my desk to my garbage can now..

.c
  • Crabbie
  • Born
  • Born
  • Crabbie

Post 3+ Months Ago

All is not lost before you decide to throw away try the following site they should help you revive the damaged unit.

http://www.linksys.com/support/top10faq ... 4%20V4.asp

and for the Firmware update try here

http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=17
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Its the "Diag" light, not the power light...

I guess this sort of router is a pain to use? I have a NetGear wireless router at home that works like a charm... I leave it in the closet with an old desktop (my print/scanner/file server), and my DSL modem and pretty much only look at it when I have to print something. Otherwise, the only computers you see around my house now are laptops... Pretty nice to not have to have a dedicated computer desk taking up floor space, or a monitor taking up desk space...

Anyway, I'll give this a try, but I think I've tried that before and couldn't make a connection. Maybe now it will work... butterfly wings and all that...

.c

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts