PC lock ups

• madams007
  • madams007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

I've got quite an old PC (bit over 4 yrs) running XP that is locking up on me. At first I thought it might have been a virus/spyware prob but I think I've traced it down to a hard disk issue.

The lock ups are completely random and I have no choice but to power down to get the PC working again. Sometimes they happen with 10 minutes of firing up the box, other times it runs ok for several hours.

I have run a check disk and had it lock up during it (took 3 attempts to get a check disk to finish successfully). Unfortunately it has just locked up again so the check disk hasn't fixed the prob.

Can anybody give me some thoughts on what it might be and how to fix it.

Thanks
Mick
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never liked check disk very much. Download the manufacturer's diagnostic tool for that make HD. If you don't know what drive is in there, you'll have to open the box.
  • Evenhost
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

does the hard drive stop spinning when the machine locks up? You should be able to tell by listening for the whir of the hard drives. Or you could open up the case and feel if the hard drive is vibrating.
  • madams007
  • madams007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty sure the hard drive stops spinning but would have to open it up to be absolutely sure.

It's a quantum drive so I'll head over to their site and see what diagnostic tools they have.

Thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts