Long Winxp start up

• midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

About a week ago I tried to install WinXP SP2 on my comp. It failed, so I just reinstalled the OS and everything was fine. But, a few days later, I turned it on, and the startup time was about 30 minutes. It was kind of crazy, and once it all loaded up, the computer was much too slow. Any ideas on what happened?

I currently have a Dell Dimension XPS B1000 running Windows XP Home Edition SP1 900mhz Pentium 3 processor with 80 GB Hard Drive and 256 mb RAM, and a 8x DVD Drive and CD Drive that I can burn Cd's with.

Right now I can't get you all the specs, like the manufacturer or anything, because I haven't found my dell computer receipt yet, nor can I turn on the computer without waiting 30 minutes to load.

Need any more info? Ask.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to your event viewer. Start with your system log. Look back to the time you rebooted last. If you don't quite remember the first recorded event after your boot started look for the event log informational event 6005. That would say "The event log service was started" Just above that should be multiple Service Control Manager events. Those are primarily the ones we want to look at. Note the log appends information in a reverse sort order so you will be working your way from the bottom towards the top of the log to follow the sequence of events during your boot.

The Service Control Manager is the service that starts your system services. What you want to look for are both warnings and errors. You will also be able to see the time sequence so you can see how long it's taking between services to start up. Check through that and report any errors. Then look at the application log and review the events that occurred during the boot process. Also note and report any warnings or errors you find there.

If we don't find anything usefull there we'll take a look at your bootlog afterwards and see if you are having any driver failures when your computer is booting.

//by the way, I am a bit busy tonight and not sure how long it will take me to get back around and look at your reply. Even if I don't make it back right away, there are others here who can help you analyze your errors.
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

event viewer, it took a while to find, since ive never heard of event viewer

But, right now I have another problem, I can't open up the control panel without having a problem. After opening it, I get a message simply telling me that windows explorer has to close, and sorry for the inconvenience...something like that, a message that you occasionally see when Interent Explorer gets crazy. So, right now, I'm trying to open it...sigh, by the way, the startup time was only about 10 minutes this time. I'm taking a guess that my comp was overheating, possibly. I don't know much about computers yet, considering I'm a kid...13 of course...=]. I don't know if there even is such thing as overheating, maybe there is, I heard about it when reading an article on overclocking. I'll try out something, but in the meantime, I've got to do a science project...later.
  • midgetsy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

yo, ATNO guy, it works now, i don't know what happened, but its fast now...whoopie!

thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts