Looking For A OVERCLOCKER Helper

• sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, well I just bought a computer, and im new to this overclocking stuff and I want to maximize the power I get out of my computer. Im just looking for someone who can personally help me out in this and tell me what to do. (Willing to pay some bucks over paypal) If everything goes out fine.

Here are my computer Specs

AMD Athlon 62 x2 4200+ AM2 2.2GHZ 2x512KB
ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe ATX AM2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA 2
EVGA Geforce 7600 GT KO
OCZ Gold XTC PC-2 6400 2GB 2x1GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-12

Keep in mind, I know nothing about overclocking, therefore someone has to guide me through. I know that my Motherbaord is very capable to overclock after reviewing serveral reviews on it. If someone can guide me through it, it would be great!

If you have MSN/AIM It would be even better, because it's easier to talk that way.

Well anyways I appreciate any help! Thanks
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

well you dont really need to overclock. but i bet you have it in your head tht over clocking is good and you will see a big diffrence, right?
if you OC'ed to the point where you would see any diffrence you would have one hot system and probably lose system stableness..
now with mine i can just go to the bios and change the setting from norm to aggressive. also this dose not make your hdd any faster witch is a big factor when loading games or doing video editing, ect. if you still feel like you need to OC i can probably help you.
  • sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

So your telling me, if I did overclock im not expecting to see much difference? I just don't get the whole process and what to do to actaully make it to the point where there is a difference. I don't understand the RAM timing, and how to properly set it, and the voltage stuff.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Overclocking is one of those things that some "power users" try to squeeze every available bit out of their computers. Usually it's to get more Frames Per Second in a game. But Cowkiller is correct, the difference you make with overclocking probably won't be noticeable to you. I've bumped my 2.8 P4 to 3.2 and didn't notice any difference.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

you could always try an eliminate bottleneck in your system. as cowkiller mentioned a slow hard drive is a main problem nowadays and a 15k rpm drive might help you to gain a performance increase
  • sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is bottleneck? And how can I elminiate it?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bottleneck is a limiting factor.

Think of it literaly like the neck of a bottle ... when your drinking from a bottle you can only get so much liquid at any one point. This is because the neck of the bottle cannont physical cope with passing any more liquid through the space.

Apply that theory to your computer where liquid is information/data flow and the bottle neck is a component in your PC.

Basically there is a component in your computer than cannont cope with the increase data flow and is therefore creating a "bottle neck".

To eliminate the bottleneck, you need to work out what is creating the bottleneck [ CPU, RAM, MOBO ]. You do this by testing each items limits individually.

IE - Testing FSB:
Lower CPU multi to around 8/9 then raise the FSB as high as it will go yet still keeping a stable system. You then now your mobos max FSB MHz.

Hope that guides you a bit.
  • sofa_king
  • Student
  • Student
  • sofa_king

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the info, does someone think they can help me out and guide me through the processes?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts