Looking into buying a server

• mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have a few questions more like a million but ill settle right now for a few answers. looking to buy a server for home and for distance work that could access programs that are on the server but not on my computer through a I think a T3 school connection. IF not I know it is a T1 connection for sure. I run on a cable modem at the house.

the school district has pissed me off and will not let me use some of my programs on the school computers and I would like to access other large video files for class presentations that could be downloaded to the laptop and then deleted once finished with.

would also like to beable to have students access the classnotes, ppt, the videos, and when I get to it turn in a few assignments in the form of CGI database programing (that I will write one day soon).

I do not for see the server being a game server right now.

I have a few computers at the house now one is running Windows XP PRO can this be used as my server?

I could beable to spend about $2,000 for a server what would you suggest I get? needs to be a complete package with hardware and software that a nongurue can use but a fast learner.

I am on a dynamic IP address. but I am willing to spend money for a DNS host like (DynDNS.org) tp keep track of my changing IP address.

mtg

mtg
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

All you need to do is enable remote desktop connection. That would be the simple solution.

Right click 'My Computer', select properties the click the remote tab. Check the box that says 'Allow users to connect remotely to this computer'. However, you would need to give others your credentials to log on to the PC. So I would create a guest account with a generic name and password without admin priveledges and add them to the Remote Desktop Users. You do this by clicking on the 'Select Remote Users' and adding your newly created "guest" account. Tis would allow other users to access files that you want them to. So you would need to set up NTFS permissions on folders and files granting them the access you want them to have.

The users can access your PC by using the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). This is available on XP Pro and 2003 server by default. Go to start, then accessories, then communications, the Remote Desktop Connection. Then the user would type in your external IP address and press enter. They would be given a logon screen that they would have to enter the credentials of your "guest" account. If they are using 2000 or lower machines they can download and install the RPC client for free from M$. Just search google for it.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

have another question about the setup you suggested

Quote:
remote desktop connection

If I have a network the computers through a router. Could i use the the remote desk top connection on the other computer to see if I have set it up right? or would the current network create a problem?

one computer win XP home and the other Win XP PRO.

looked into buying a server today from where I have been doing business with due to they feel sorry for my school kids that they give me nice discount price breaks. he said a $1000 for a server which with out sorftware (which last time he gave me win XP PRO for free) and then they would help me set it up. the only reason why I could do this is that another school product turnned out to be a third of the price I was prepared to pay for the technology. :D

mtg
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes you can do it across a router. No big deal.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

have another question about the setup you suggested

Quote:
remote desktop connection

If I have a network the computers through a router. Could i use the the remote desk top connection on the other computer to see if I have set it up right? or would the current network create a problem?

one computer win XP home and the other Win XP PRO.

looked into buying a server today from where I have been doing business with due to they feel sorry for my school kids that they give me nice discount price breaks. he said a $1000 for a server which with out sorftware (which last time he gave me win XP PRO for free) and then they would help me set it up. the only reason why I could do this is that another school product turnned out to be a third of the price I was prepared to pay for the technology. :D

mtg
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry about the double post was working on two things at onceand did not realize that I had already posted that.

but I looked into rr business class today and it looks like that it would only cost me $90 a month for a static IP adress. and there goes my raise that I would have just gotten for another year of expereince in teaching lol what better way to spen the money but getting my own server and everything else and making it a tax deuctiuon :lol: oh heck yeah! and then get that money back too in the end from the government. woohoo.

mtg
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

use a no-ip redirect. They have a utility that updates the redirector service within minutes of an IP change. Though I have been on "dynamic IP" cable for 10 months without an IP change. http://www.no-ip.com

edit- accidently put 10 minutes instead of 10 months... :oops:
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows XP Home does not support Remote Desktop Connection.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could connect to the XP Pro using the RDP client on Home.

Microsoft wrote:
The Remote Desktop Connection software is pre-installed with Windows XP. To run it, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection. This software package can also be found on the Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition product CDs and can be installed on any supported Windows platform. To install from the CD, insert the disc into the target machine's CD-ROM drive, select Perform Additional Tasks, and then click Install Remote Desktop Connection.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/down ... entdl.mspx
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought that XP Home didn't allow RDC in.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can t get the remote desk top to work through the router but I will try it with a friends computer later tonight or tomorrow.

mtg
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys it worked I cant beleive I had suck luck today.

Quote:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

great tutorial on how to set it up and found that on the side link that you gave me. and you were right you need pro to have which is not a problem right now b/c i have pro on one so I will switch to that as my main computer.

Question: can ai access the home network if I am using the desktop remote if the network is already set up?

thanks guys you were a big help you might have saved me some money but I still like the idea of having my own server and dedicated ip but this can work if they want to block my ip or my website due them being jerks.

mtg
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't quite understand your question. Please try to rephrase it so it makes more sense.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

dont worry I was able to go through the internet and access the other computer. I wanted to check to see if the setup for remote access was correct and not have to drive to my friends house

mtg
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I thought that XP Home didn't allow RDC in.

yes you are right from what i read it does not allow it in but you can use it to access a WIN XP PRO computer tho.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

"I see", said the blind man.

See you learn something new everyday.
  • mtg131g
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • mtg131g

Post 3+ Months Ago

From what I am learning that you have to use a Win XP PRO as the host and most anything with a remote host installed on it can then access the computer as long as the user has been created and the user has a password that is correct.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Windows is not exactly synonymous with “secure”. The valid account/password stuff is optional if you know what you're doing.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
Windows XP Home does not support Remote Desktop Connection.

Try VNC Server and View, easy to configure, work fine accross networks and the internet.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts