Low Voltage

• seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was surprised to find that my 3.3v was only running at .58v when I checked with Speedfan last night. I rebooted into the BIOS to see what it said, but it didn't give a value for that voltage. I Googled and found that the 3.3v circuits are orange, and I scanned inside my case and only saw orange wires going to the SATA and ATX connectors. Since I'm not experiencing any kind of problems at the moment, I'm wondering what uses that voltage and just how concerned I should be?
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: u.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dnt really know to be honest but i'm sure some one will lol
and i live by "if it ent broke don't fix it :P"
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
"if it ent broke don't fix it "

I tend to agree, that is why I'm asking questions rather than tearing into it, but I'm worried that the low voltage could be doing some damage that I am not yet aware of. It would seem that if that voltage wasn't needed that it wouldn't be there.
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

sometimes computers just cinfuse the hech out of me haha anyways i might just be the speedfan is reading it wrong, but i shouldn't worrie to much if nothing werid is going on
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I said that I wasn't experiencing any problems, but that isn't really true...just nothing new that I necessarily suspect is related. However, my understanding, suspicions and intuitions regarding computers is far from perfect. For instance, I found a number of ghosts in the Device Manager's Non-Plug and Play section that could possibly be indications of this problem. The items say that they are not installed and are labeled Code 45. But, since I don't know what they are or what they do, I don't know if they should be, or if they might be responsible for a myriad of quirks at hand. I have always found untold quirks in computers, but they could be indications of my own ignorance, rather than a cyber deficiency.

I have posted this question on a couple of other forums, and you are the only one that has responded so far, so it appears that I shall have to find my own answer, so when I get the inclination I shall check the actual voltage with a meter.

From what little that I have found Googling, it appears that there is a close relationship between 3.3 and 5.0 voltage items, and it may be possible that the one circuit is compensating for the other, and that may be why the PC keeps running okay, but even if that is true, since I have another power supply in the closet, and the one installed is still under warranty, there is no reason not to deal with this, except procrastination due to lazyness. My spare PS is somewhat lower in wattage, but it is still sufficient for the purpose.
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

seekermeister i have some thing for you to try.

it might be a good idea to try a different PSU and see if you get the same reading if you don't then it might be your PSU, anyways try that and post back
  • seekermeister
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right after my last post, I replaced the PS, but apparently it took out my motherboard also, because it would not boot. The time since then I have had to wait for a couple of new motherboards to arrive from TigerDirect. I bought two because they were cheap, and knowing my luck at least one of them would be bad. It appearred that I was right, because the first one wouldn't boot the system, but I have had so many problems getting the second one to work, I'm not certain about the first one now. The only thing that I am sure about is that the 3.3v rail on my original PS went bad.

I'm in the process of trying to get all of my OSs up and running, but between hardware and software problems, it's going to take some time. I'm not sure if I shall be able to reactivate MCE because it is OEM, and I have had so many problems in the past that required activation, that they may not believe me any more that this is the same computer. At least my x64 OS is retail, so that isn't a problem. I had told myself that I would never buy another MSI motherboard again, but that is all that I could find with sufficient PCI slots. I thought that I was buying was buying exactly the same MB that I had, but I was wrong, because this is version 2, which is a mini version of the old one. This MB seems to be particularly canterkerous, and that is slowing me down alot.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts