MAC OS X Tiger + Intel Laptop?

• 5N4K3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've done a good bit of searching around, but am getting pretty confused about what is involed with Apple/Mac.

Mini Story:
At first I thought MAC was open source like linux and was looking to download it. I hadn't ever seen it being sold anywhere ...
Nope that wasn't right. Ok since I can't download it and havn't seen it sold anywhere what now?
I check http://www.apple.com and am pretty impressed with the operating system. Actually I would buy it, really I just want to mess around with it. Ehhh .. I can't just buy the OS, I need Apple specific hardware?
I know I've seen MAC on a Sony Vaio...
I search ozzu for an answer. The results came back, and one post said the the Mac Tiger OS couldn't be installed on intel based hardware. (like apple.com said also)
I decided to check out some Apple laptops. Along the way I read that Mac is or may be using Intel chips in the near future.

Here are my questions:
1. Is it possible to buy the MAC OS X Tiger software and run it on my Intel based laptop?
2. Can I install it on my Intel based laptop in the future? (when they accept using intel chips)
3. Like I said I have seen Mac on a Sony Vaio, how was this done? And older version of Mac or something?
4. To those having used MAC before: Do you enjoy it?
5. To those having used MAC before: Mac says it works seemlesly with windows files, can Windows programs be installed on it? Or I would have to use ether a VPN client (Remote Desktop) or a Wine (Emulator) like program?

Thanks,
5N4K3
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can run osx on an intel but its just a teeny [teeny is an understatement, its highly illegal] bit illegal. as some of you may know, apple has now moved over to intel processors after dropping ibm. this means that they had to rewrite it to work with intel. a few days after this was announced, it was hacked, and they had osx running natively off an intel machine. essentially, all you have to do is look about [yaarrgh, the bay of pirates is your friend] to find an "osx86" release of the osx operating system. usually there wil be an nfo in it .

now to properly answer your questions:
1. you cant buy it because the storebought are patched now not to run on intel machines, the new developer release, 10.0.5 does work, but then again its developer only [bay of pirates, google]

2. yes

3. the man was being naughty and it was actually a contest on a website [who could run it natively first] it was osx, and isntructions can be found on the net [google]

4. i loved it, i used it for a year at school, however i sometimes had to use the old machines with software on it to bog it down and was consequently highly angered.

5. works seamlessly with windows files means with .doc, .xls, .ppt, .mov, .wav and so on and so forth. You cannot however install a windows only program on it [or can you, maybe rosetta does this] you would most likely have to use remote desktop

thar ya go matey :wink: :wink: :nudge: nudge: :hint : :hint:
  • 5N4K3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, 4ss_munk3y! :D
That clears up a lot of my questions.

Interesting ... what the right search words in Google will return.
Shiver me timbers! "osx86"

Off to surf the webs. ;)
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

no problem, i do recall you could do it with vmware and install it legally like that, but then again, its not doing it all pretty like and natively.
and it would cost a lot more
  • 5N4K3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I looked into that a little. I wouldn't mind running it from VMware if it didn't run insanely slow on it. (From what I've read)
I was looking for a Virtual PC fix also .. but I don't think there is one.

I think I'm at a point that I would like to be legit with what I use.
And although I don't have a great need for a new laptop or for MAC even, I'm debating on buying one of thier PC's or laptops. Then I can use Virtual PC or VMware to run Windows or Linux off of it. (I'm pretty sure there is a MAC version of Virtual PC, but not sure if it will run Linux)

You did answer my questions. Thanks :D
I originaly wanted to run MAC Tiger OS on my Intel Laptop, but for several reasons I feel I would rather buy an Apple PC/Laptop when the time comes for me to get a new one. Yeah they're expensive but I don't think I'll need another PC for quite a long time. The PC seems to be highly upgradable.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

the mac is also upgradeable, and just wait till like mid-next year, im sure there will be an apple release of a intel compatible osx. or as soon as they release their intel cpu computers.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

what about amd?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMD and Mac? I don't think that will happen unless the Intel deal doesn't work out. But you never know.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1359

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts